Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Time to tweak n tune.. Where to start???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to tweak n tune.. Where to start???

Hey guys. So after 2 years of sitting due to change in careers and bouncing around the country.. I'm going to get the car back out. Back when I got her together I put about 400 easyish miles on a complete rebuild.. And now I dont know where to start as in getting it all tuned up. Now the build was a 5.3 (new bearings and seals) 243 heads shaved .030" with a 3* valve job, with a vic jr and a 750dp, am is 22X/2XX dur @ 601/617 112lsa, +4* (cant recal exacts I'd have to double check) supporting valve train and the carb I got from a circle track guy, 1 3/4" hedders. So it isnt setup nearly to where it should be and I'm not sure as to what to do with the timing... It runs, but on pills and a improper setup carb not as well as it should.. So what are your thoughts? I've also picked up a map but not sure if I should put that in yet... Planning on a custom timing curve
Old 07-25-2013, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Found the cam specs 223/231 dur@ .50, .610/.617 lift 112
Old 07-25-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read my post on this section titled base curve good info on where to start
Old 07-26-2013, 05:06 AM
Staging Lane

Ya between that one and the sticking on timing I thing that I should be able to get that set ok... I'm more curious as to what I should tweak first..? Should I set the timing to a basic curve and then try to tune the carb? or should I start with the carb first and go on from there to the rest?
Old 07-26-2013, 05:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a good combo. Nice sized cam.

I'd put the map in from the get go. No reason not to.

I don't know about you but it took me a lot longer to get the carb right than the timing. I didn't have to experiment nearly as much with the timing.

Hopefully you have a wideband. That should allow you to get the main jets and idle screws set right in a single afternoon. Getting all the transitions right is what takes time, especially if you are learning like I was.

Quick Reply: Time to tweak n tune.. Where to start???