Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

twin turbo 300ZX is beat down. (no vid)

Old 07-27-2013, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default twin turbo 300ZX is beat down. (no vid)

My always-on camera was off, sorry. Cliffs not available. Just read the thread, dangit!

So after two failed races on the way to my brothers house (281 Saleen mustang vert and riced out to hell 1st gen STi) we hit pay dirt with a riced out 300ZX on the way home. I filled in my son on what a 300ZX is (300hp twin turbo or 235hp n/a sports car with the weight of a new corvette, badass in the 90's). This one was a turbo badged, turbo sounding version with a full body kit, cheesy aftermarket exhaust, typical aftermarket high output (aka shaky and bouncing) projector headlights upgrade, nasty/ugly/raspy/worst I've ever heard exhaust system on it that made my ears twist over and cover themselves when I heard it. That surprised me, I didn't know my ears could do that.

late at night, few other cars on the 2 lane each way w/middle turn lane 45mph road type deal. "Perfect". He takes off twice as I approach him, I let him go and slowly catch back up to him until he lets me get side by side (chase races started at 10mph above speed limit are a no-go for me). We make eye contact, both down shift and launch at same time after i stutter step the throttle to start it since I didn't feel like honking. I'll let my sons humorous verbiage fill in the results:

high pitched almost delirious laughter followed by incredulous "you're killing him! It's like he hit the brakes!!! Wholly cow, I know I heard him hit the gas but it's like he hit the brakes instead! Wow! WowwwWW!! HAHAHAHA!!"

[I see him lift so I lift also]

"That's embarassing!! Oh snap, is he coming back for more?!?! He seriously wants to run again?"

[I tell him he is probably man'ing up and gonna ask about my car but I was wrong]

"No dad, I think he wants to run again. He just down shifted!"

[true enough, this time he is down another gear from where he was during first run, same 50mph speed; sounds like where he should have been during first run. He takes hit when road straightens after the turn we were in]

"Dad go go go!! You let him get ahead of us! Oh! hahahahahahahhaha wholly **** you just passed him like he ran out of gas!!!!! hahahahha damn! he is so slow!! hahaha how far back is he?!?!" [5 seconds or so, he went from 1.5 cars ahead to 5 cars back by middle of drive]

Background: My 21 yr old son just got back from Afghanistan and has been learning both how to be a car guy and how to drive/race his new to him M6 GTO. I converted him from being both a Toyota Camry owner and a non-car guy with good old peer pressure from his friends who slobber over themselves when they see my car. Now he's hooked and researching and buying parts for his car. For those fathers out there, he is the perfect "late blooming" type son who is also smart as a tack and respectful. Best son you could ever ask for, kid just keeps getting better and better as he ages. Damn I'm proud of him, fit enough to bursting. Father: 1 Society: 0

I kept explaining how the 300ZX is one of the more popular 90's era cars to mod and how he should ALWAYS be aware of turbo cars abilities to make big power but I think he wasn't believing me due to what happened. lol he will find out soon enough if he keeps his attitude up, but this race was funny as hell!

Also for those who have vararam's who have been following my trevails: I got my svede yesterday and it runs a ton better up top, hits the 6600rpm rev limiter so hard that I am going to have to raise the limiter to see where the "true" redline should be. I'm pretty good at guessing numbers so I'll throw this out there: gain of 45-55rwhp over my dyno'd 435rwhp a few months ago with my MAF freaking out and throwing codes. Dyno and track numbers coming in the next couple weeks.

Last edited by Sticks n Stones; 07-27-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good kill man, I just became a father of a son on Saturday I hope he turns out to be a cool cat like your son , best of luck with his modding and Mexico fun
Old 07-27-2013, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Knight-Z06
Good kill man, I just became a father of a son on Saturday I hope he turns out to be a cool cat like your son , best of luck with his modding and Mexico fun
Good or bad, I hope he turns out just like you so that you can lead him through his tough years like I did with my son. I had a HELLUVA tough time in my teens, everything from being a loner to being one of the guys considered the "toughest" in school to being a enforcer for more then a few drug dealers to stuff I can't talk about. That kinda history allows me to see everything he is going through with a lens of clarity that I've used on numerous occasions to be brutally honest and nearly clairvoyant on him: I like to think I've steered him clear of the mistakes I've made but at the same time giving him the benefit of the knowledge I learned going thru the shitfest. It's quite a bit like steering a giant barge down a river, AT NIGHT WITH NO LIGHTS, on instincts and daytime experience alone. My 'tub' made it to it's dock with no scratches it appears: hope yours does too my friend.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks man , I hope to lead this little guy down a solid path, and he will be a lsx kid (i hope not a ricer)
Old 07-27-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My 2 year old gets excited every time he hears the sound of my car or any v8 for that matter, but when a riced out import revs up or anything he laughs lol
Old 07-27-2013, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by US_Army_Z28
My 2 year old gets excited every time he hears the sound of my car or any v8 for that matter, but when a riced out import revs up or anything he laughs lol
Old 07-27-2013, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

My 7yo wants me to race everything that pulls past.
My 2yo can fall asleep in my camaro

And damn sticks, u old.....Lol
:-P
Old 07-27-2013, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Knight-Z06
Thank you sir
Old 07-27-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My 2yo generally only falls asleep in the car if he's just flat out beat, other than that he's generally looking out the windows, oh and anytime I leave a light hard he waves and tells the cars next to me bye-bye lol

Oh and sticks glad to hear your son made it home safe, and congrats in bringing him over to the fast side of things lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: twin turbo 300ZX is beat down. (no vid)