Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Using monsoon amp for alpine type-r

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 11:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Using monsoon amp for alpine type-r

I have some alpine type-r 2 ways in my doors wired straight to a decent 50x4 aftermarket headunit. There just isnt enough power and i dont want to add any weight to the car. I was going to try to find a 3 channel amp to do both doors and my sub but they are expensive.

Should I try using the monsoon amp to power the speakers? Is it decent and will it be an improvement?? My car is loud and sound quality is important but obviously theres a limit to how much you can do in this setting.

Last edited by pHEnomIC; 07-27-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

There are a number of factors involved here but the short answer is no, the Monsoon amp won't really help.

First, your HU does not produce 50x4... it probably produces 50 watts per channel peak but only about 18 watts per channel RMS. That means that the Monsoon amp produces about twice as much power. However, it take ten times as much power to double the output volume. Doubling power only increases volume by about 3dB or about one click of the volume ****.

The Monsoon amp is decent for what it does but it's not particularly powerful and it has a unique configuration of filtering for its eight channels of output. Using it to gain just one click on the volume **** seems hardly worth the trouble - especially since it won't work very well with your coaxial speakers.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

As it turns out I realized i did run it through the monsoon. I am gonna try to go headunit straight to speakers to see if it is a cleaner signal.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:33 AM
On The Tree

You should be getting clean sound as is. I don't really have any gripes about the stock monsoon amp. Seems to do it's purpose. Fairly clean, just not super high wattage. It's going to have at least twice the wattage of the stock deck.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd run at least a 50 watts rms per channel power amp to overcome the loud exhaust without distorting the speakers. Take a look at some 4channel amps you should be able to get one under $180 (shipped) that has plenty of power for your Alpine door speakers and your subwoofer.

Quick Reply: Using monsoon amp for alpine type-r