Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'00 V6 Camaro 5.3 Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '00 V6 Camaro 5.3 Swap?

I currently have a '00 Camaro V6 & I've been doing some searching around, and I'm really considering a 5.3 swap. All the LS1's I've found have been extremely expensive and being a senior in high school, I don't have that kind of money at this point, unfortunately. The 5.3 I found came from a Chevy 1500 Pick-up & only has 83k miles on it for $500 OBO.

From what I've gathered, I need the following...

LS1 K-Member
LS1/6 Intake
Fuel Pump (From an LS1 or Walboro 255)
Fuel Lines
Input Shaft (For Transmission)

I plan on doing a nitrous setup for sure, and maybe even a turbo setup to go along with it, because I know the 5.3's work very well with boost. I don't think I'm going to completely build the entire motor, because that'll be really expensive - but I AM going to do a cam (hot cam or a LS6), rods & pistons, etc. setup.

I'll be doing all the work on it solely myself. If that list is wrong, could someone point in the right direction, please? And how much do you think the entire swap would cost?

Thank you!
Old 07-28-2013, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

i swapped a ls into my 00 v6 firebird wasnt hard but your gonna need a v8 trans wiring harness and engine bay harness cause none are the same also gauge cluster pm me what u have and ill let you know what u still need. i just bought a wrecked ls car to swap to make sure i had all the small random ****
Old 07-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Why not save your money for when your out of school and then sell your V6 camaro for a v8 Fbody and then go from there? I think even before you go turbocharged, i would do a H/C/I combo. It mght be cheaper in the long run and more reliable because it sounds like this will be a daily driven car. Just my .02
Old 07-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Why the input shaft? Is that all thats needed to make a v6 4l60e work with a ls? I am curious because i want to swap a 5.3 in my v6 02 silverado and was told i needed a v8 tranny if the shaft is all thats needed how much does it cost to have the shaft swapped if tranny is out
Old 07-28-2013, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

You also need the LS1 steering rack, V6 rack won't clear the front of the engine. You'll need the F-body oil pan too.

So I assume you have an automatic? Well, doesn't matter which transmission you have, you will need a transmission from a V8, bellhousing is different. Just get the transmission from the truck, if it's 2WD. If you are manual, you need a T56.

The swap won't be cheap. I recommend getting the swap in and running bone stock, before worrying about the mods. It'll be enough of a difference from your 200hp V6 to keep you happy until your wallet recovers.

Quick Reply: '00 V6 Camaro 5.3 Swap?