Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i buy a parts doner, or buy a peice at a time?

Old 07-29-2013, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i buy a parts doner, or buy a peice at a time?

I'm doing an ls swap into a second gen camaro. I have an ls1, 243 heads, ls6 intake. I need motor accessories, and t56 tranny. What would make more sense and save money?
Old 07-29-2013, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well buying a trans and brackets would be a whole lot cheaper than buying a whole donor car.. If you didn't already have the motor I would say go for it.

Do you need to pass emmission? What are the laws where you live about motor swaps. If its anything like California where you pretty much need everything from the car the engine comes from then it would make sense to just buy donor car. That's all if you even have the room for the car for storage until you are done with it. Leaving a stripped car in the driveway could **** off some neighbors and possibly resulting with you receiving fines or needing to remove the car from the property.

If you can get a good donor and have the room and time to strip it and sell some parts off it to recoup some $$$ and then scrap the remaining metal for few more $$ you could possibly get everything you need and come out the end with a very low budget swap.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As said above. I bought a complete car for my conversion, as I had a bare engine bay, so needed everything. For me, it was the most economical way to go. Surprising what bits I ended up using.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Buying the donor will save you money in the long run, will server as extra parts to use in case you need to fab something up or mod into something you need.

you can start selling off the parts you know you don't need and will help fund the rest of the project. I made about $3,500 from a 02 Z28 that I parted out. I used the engine, trans, brakes and many other parts.

If you have the time and space. Go the Donor route, it will pay off.. or you will find a lot of new friends... your friends will always need parts themselves !..

BC
Old 07-30-2013, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Go the donor route if you have the option. If you go the part-by-part route, I would go with a corvette front accessory system, rather than the 4th gen f-body. No notching the frame to clear the alternator, PS lines for 2001 corvette connect directly to the steering box for 80-81 Fbody.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1981TA
Go the donor route if you have the option. If you go the part-by-part route, I would go with a corvette front accessory system, rather than the 4th gen f-body. No notching the frame to clear the alternator, PS lines for 2001 corvette connect directly to the steering box for 80-81 Fbody.
I would still go with a donor route and if need to go with another front Accessory setup.. then just buy the Vette or F-Body setup and sell / trade what you have.

BC
Old 07-30-2013, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
I would still go with a donor route and if need to go with another front Accessory setup.. then just buy the Vette or F-Body setup and sell / trade what you have.

BC
Oh, certainly yes. I would too. You just never know if / when an appropriately priced donor will pop up. I didn't have one at all for most of my build, scrounged parts, and then had a stupid-cheap 2000 z28 fall into my lap this spring -- well after I got the drive train done. Go figure. But hey, I've got a spare LS1 for when I eventually blow up the one under my hood.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:56 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: should i buy a parts doner, or buy a peice at a time?