Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Change pinion bearing during gear install?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Change pinion bearing during gear install?

I scored a set of GM 4.10's for my 32K mile WS6. I'm looking at the install kits and think I'm just going to go with the basic. I dont want to change all of the alxe bearings etc. The pinion bearing is my only question - should I change that one? Most of the basic kits dont come with one (like the one below) so I'm not sure if I should pop for on or not. My initial thought was that it is probably better to change it, but then again I don't want to change things just for the sake of changing them. If it has low miles, does it really matter? Is the bearing going to get beat up during the install?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mgr-gm7-5ik/overview/
Old 07-29-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

The main/large pinion bearing should be removed anyway to get the pinion shim,which will be the 'starting point' shim for setting pinion depth with the new gear set. When it's torn apart,you'll find out if you pinion and carrier bearings also.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
The main/large pinion bearing should be removed anyway to get the pinion shim,which will be the 'starting point' shim for setting pinion depth with the new gear set. When it's torn apart,you'll find out if you pinion and carrier bearings also.
Hmm. So maybe I buy the basic kit and then buy the other bearings separately. Would hate to hold up the whole show because I see one of them doesn't look so good and I dont have a new one on hand. I can always return anything unused if i dont need them. Not trying to be super cheap --- no, i am trying to be super cheap in the sense that i dont want to waste money on things that still look brand new if that is the case.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to replace wear items when I have something apart. Why risk putting it back together with old parts, and then having something go bad? It is not a whole lot of cost for some new bearings. I also highly recommend a solid pinion spacer.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Replace them. An inner pinion bearing should be replaced anytime it is removed from a gear. It hardly has a shoulder to pull on meaning the roller cage is likely to get damaged and its the main load carrier in the rear end and continually removing it can cause it to potentially spin on the gear.

Quick Reply: Change pinion bearing during gear install?