Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 z after heads cam and ls6 swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2000 z after heads cam and ls6 swap

hey guys so long story short after i did a v3 cam, 2.5 ls6 heads, ls6 intake, and 40 lb injectors im having some issues, i took the car to new era performance and mike told me that he couldn't tune it because it had a "massive vacuum leak". i took the car back home and inspected the intake but there was no damage and also checked out the brake booster line and hvac lines. as of right now the car is NOT TUNED, i sprayed carb cleaner around the intake and there was no change in rpm whatsoever, basically the entire DRIVERS side is running lean the passenger side is fine. i checked my plugs and wires and everything is good to go but for whatever reason the drivers side is still lean i have no clue what it could be. when i first go to drive the car it hesitates bad at first then runs ok once i get going but you can hear the rpms fluctuate a bit at cruising speed. any ideas on what i could check?
Old 07-31-2013, 02:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PVC hoses? What about the lil vacuum line on the back of intake
Old 07-31-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is it throwing any codes..?
It could possibly be a bad O2 sensor; but that's only a guess without knowing more.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:51 PM
Launching!

You probably fouled out the driver side o2 sensor from driving it untuned. I drove my for one week untuned and fouled out both of my o2's. After they fouled out the car bucked a lot, specially at a stop light.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to check if its your O2, unplug them and see how that changes things.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blkgagt94
PVC hoses? What about the lil vacuum line on the back of intake
as stated i made sure to check all pcv hoses and hvac lines on the intake everything checked out
Old 08-02-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Is it throwing any codes..?
It could possibly be a bad O2 sensor; but that's only a guess without knowing more.
two codes, p0300 random misfire most likely because of the cam, and a p0131 for bank 1 sensor 1 low voltage.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
to check if its your O2, unplug them and see how that changes things.
will that cause damage to the car if i unplug it and try running it? and are you saying if i unplug it and the car runs better then most likely its the sensor?
Old 08-02-2013, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D14HUGGER.ORANGE
You probably fouled out the driver side o2 sensor from driving it untuned. I drove my for one week untuned and fouled out both of my o2's. After they fouled out the car bucked a lot, specially at a stop light.
i replaced the drivers side already thinking that was the problem originally and still got the same codes and no changes to the cars driveability.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had an issue when I brought my car up there, they switched injectors and paint from my intake got into the injectors, clogging them. I would blow them out and see if that helps. Did you check your MAP sensor? Also, did he change the tune for the injectors?
Old 08-02-2013, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
I had an issue when I brought my car up there, they switched injectors and paint from my intake got into the injectors, clogging them. I would blow them out and see if that helps. Did you check your MAP sensor? Also, did he change the tune for the injectors?
i had them change the injectors, but i had to take the ls6 intake back off to double check the gaskets since mike at new era said i had a "massive vacuum leak" which , i took off the fuel rail and cleaned the injectors but there was no difference. he did do a "base tune" for the injectors but didnt actually tune the car for the heads or cam
Old 08-02-2013, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blackfbird98
will that cause damage to the car if i unplug it and try running it? and are you saying if i unplug it and the car runs better then most likely its the sensor?
nothing will happen. your car still has an open loop tune that keeps it running. disconnect them both and run the car and see how things turn out.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Wasn't this posted before. This sounds really familiar.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Wasn't this posted before. This sounds really familiar.
yes it was, but i tried posting up my trial and error results to no avail so my last resort was posting a new thread and im already getting better suggestions.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
nothing will happen. your car still has an open loop tune that keeps it running. disconnect them both and run the car and see how things turn out.
technically couldnt i just disconnect the drivers side o2 since thats the one thats running lean? just to test to see if its that o2 thats the problem?
Old 08-03-2013, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blackfbird98
technically couldnt i just disconnect the drivers side o2 since thats the one thats running lean? just to test to see if its that o2 thats the problem?
you can. but to be 100% sure that it is O2 sensors disconnect them both. you might still have misfires with only 1 running. after i had my LS6 intake on i broke my oil pressure sending unit and the car sat for 3 weeks. when i put everything back on the car was misfiring like crazy and running pig rich! i took the intake 3 times thinking it was a vacuum leak. then i realized they are my O2s, they went bad because my hands were dirty from a non-sensor friendly sealer and it got there somehow. when i disconnect them car instantly run smooth, when i plug them back while car is running it almost dies and sputters. i hope its your O2s too. good luck.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are you running this car on a stock GM tune ?you mite be putting too much fuel into the cylinder .
Old 08-03-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Pause the game!

So you are trying to diag stuff with a heads cam car that's not tuned? I'm sure those 42# injectors are doing great things.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The PO code for sensor 1 bank 1 told you what you wanted to know. Its 02 sensor related. If you changed the sensor out and you still have issues it could be the wiring extension that goes to the sensor plug. Had that happen to me and after 3 new sensors it wound up being my sensor extensions.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:54 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by garygnu
are you running this car on a stock GM tune ?you mite be putting too much fuel into the cylinder .
Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Pause the game!

So you are trying to diag stuff with a heads cam car that's not tuned? I'm sure those 42# injectors are doing great things.
Guys, he already said Mike tuned the injectors. He couldn't tune for the CAM bc of the vacuum leak.

As mentioned, if you're running extensions, check them out. I'd personally spend the half hour and just re-pin the PCM so you can plug the O2's into the REAR O2 plugs. Then there's no need to use extensions.

As for the vacuum leak:

Lastly, check the tiny vacuum line (HVAC Control) that goes from the passenger side rear of the intake over towards the passenger hood hinge area. Check for any breaks or cracks. Then check the little 3 way T (it's like a bulb, has some size to it). Spray some Carb Cleaner around and listen for the idle to shoot up.

Quick Reply: 2000 z after heads cam and ls6 swap