Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wanting to do LS motor in 69 Camaro, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wanting to do LS motor in 69 Camaro, need advice

hey guys, I have a 69 Camaro and am wanting to put a LS engine in it with modern fuel injection

just wandering what items I will need....I currently have a tremec TKO 600 5spd and a 12 bolt moser rear, so Im pretty sure all that will swap over fine, but what about bell housing? flywheel, etc..will I need to go with hydraulic clutch setup? also different oil pan?

I really need someone that knows there stuff on here to shoot me there phone number so I can sorta plan ahead all of the items i'll need ahead of time

I know some bigger items obviously are:

different Radiator
LS motor
ECM
Wiring harness
FI gas tank

thanks guys

Last edited by bigarmzz; 07-31-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice 69....

The best that everyone will recommend to you.. is to research the FAQ/Sticky's and read some of the Build Threads.. many are documented here on this Forum.

You have listed many of the major itesm to be worked out and planned for. I would one the biggest step 1 .. Oil Pan and Mounts.. Recommend the Holley or MAST..

Many of use have answered your question, which is very commond and generic.. and it alway comes back to read some of the build threads.. If you ask some more specific and smaller question, you will get a better feed back and answer to your question. I don't want to re-write the swap book again .. we've done that too many times.

Many of your answer will also be based on you questions, Budget and who is doing the work and how much of it by you or someone else.

As far as your current trans. it might not swap over with out spending some more $$$ as the input is not the same lenght as a Gen III/IV Transmission. Different Bell housing, flywheel might need to be changed out to keep that trans. Would recommend going Hyd on the clutch (Master/slave).

I could go on forever but I am not at this point. Also.. there are many ways to get the swap done.. and what and how I do it, will differ from others.. so.. research and figure how what you like best for all of the parts you want to use.

Until the next question.. good luck and keep us posted.

BC
Old 07-31-2013, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I think the big three initially are mounts, oil pan, AND headers. Once you have those three figured out, the engine and transmission are positioned and most of the other swap stuff is about the same regardless of what kind of car you're putting this in.

You listed radiator, but that's not necessarily required unless you are having cooling issues with your current small block. You will likely require electric fan(s) however and sometimes people elect to swap radiators and inlet position when they make that change.

'67-'69 F and '68-'74 X body cars are very similar swaps, so check the x-body link in my signature for info.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kiesler sells a recreation of a big block chevy bellhousing that I am using to mount a tko to my ls2 motor. They also sell hydraulic throw out bearing kits for your car. As long as your tko has the gm input shaft you should be good to go. I run an ls7/2 clutch with that.

So you have lots of options. Kieslers bearing works fine but you can probably do better with an aftermarket solution
Old 08-01-2013, 06:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys, i know I def want to stick with exhaust manifolds for now to keep it alittle price controlled

ive been reading through old build threads and to be honest, its confusing
Old 08-01-2013, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah.. it could be confusing at first. .but once you get into it and just handle one area at a time. .You'll be saying it was easy... and be wanting to do another one soon after !

But like I said before. ask your questions in smaller subject areas and you will get better answers and directions.. Else, Buy a book .. LOL..

Keep the build thread going..

BC
Old 08-01-2013, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

be thankfull you have a tko they are not that hard to swap , my guess is a flywheel change , if you had a t56 its a diferant story , Id call american powertrain , better people than keisler , also steet and performance has done many 1st gen f body swaps , im sure they are full of usefull info

nice car post a build thread and put up pics for us voyeurs

Quick Reply: wanting to do LS motor in 69 Camaro, need advice