Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking Mileage at the Junk Yard 5.3/6.0 with a catch

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Checking Mileage at the Junk Yard 5.3/6.0 with a catch

I went to my local U-pull it yard yesterday and was surprised to find a Silverado with a 5.3 & and an express van with a 6.0. (they usually have junk for the 1980's) I have a project I am planning for over the winter that is going to be based on either one of these configurations. I am interested in pulling on of the two motors but I am skeptical about what I am actually getting. Both vehicles have a digital odometer and there are no "car batteries" allowed in the yard. Furthermore that yard does not keep the mileage of the vehicles on hand. I am looking for something with less the 200K. The 5.3 looks very clean and I would be willing to gamble on that one, however the 6.0 (express van) is caked in grease and I am willing to bet the mileage is going to be higher. Of course I want the 6.0. Has anyone figured out a way to check the mileage on one of these newer digital odometer vehicles by using a battery other than one meant for a car. Something I could carry in. I hate to pull this thing only to find the bearings are shot and the cylinder bores are way out of round.

For the record, I checked the oil change sticker,.. there wasn't one on either, and tore apart both vehicles looking for a mileage log... n/a

DG

DG
Old 08-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the vin nimber of each vehicle and carfax them. Pretty sure carfax shows mileage of last time it was registered
Old 08-01-2013, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Get the schematics of the instrument cluster, and power it up with a cordless drill battery. At a U-Pick-It you can just cut the IP harness and hook it up.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

200k miles isn't a problem on LS motors...but on the other hand common sense tells me that express cans are usually work vehicles and get their *** beat on, where as a truck is usually better taken care of...just make sure you get a good deal and you will have the $ to right and of the wrongs
Old 08-01-2013, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best bet is to look up the vin# like mentioned above, hopefully last know miles were recorded and then you could at the very least get a ball park figure of what the miles might be.

Do a compression test and see how it does, if everything is to your liking get it. Caked on oil and grease is nothing. That's what simple green and purple power is for and a lil primer/paint.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just buy them both.A few hundred bucks and half a day's labour- how can you go wrong?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Teching In

don't be afraid of mileage as long as it looks good in side. pull a valve cover and try to have a peek inside the cylinders if you can. My 5.3 for my fox has 246k on it and still looks like it has 46k on it.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

I use 18v drill batteries to test window motors and stuff all the time. I see no reason why it wouldn't work to power up the cluster.

Even with high miles, grab both if the price is right. You can always run the 5.3 and build the 6.0 for later. At least pull the harnesses and ecms.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Of the LS motors I've had apart(100k and below) cylinder wear was not an issue. All had less than .001" taper and round. Even my truck that had a lot of piston slap, little to no wear. Though the pistons needed to be replaced to keep the piston/wall clearance within tolerance which necessitated balancing too. Even though the van was likely a work vehicle, most of the miles could be highway.

I agree with everyone above, grab both with wiring and computers if the price is right. You could always resell whichever you don't use to someone whom does not want to go to the JY. The van probably has a 4L80 tranny, might consider grabbing it too.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The drill battery is an excellent idea. I rummage through the paperwork that hopefully the owner kept. I found one that the engine was changed by the dealer under warranty that the scrap yard didn't know about.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LS BRAVADA
The drill battery is an excellent idea. I rummage through the paperwork that hopefully the owner kept. I found one that the engine was changed by the dealer under warranty that the scrap yard didn't know about.
Good tips guys! I like the drill idea as well, I am going to look into that further.

DG
Old 08-04-2013, 04:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by i r teh noobz
I use 18v drill batteries to test window motors and stuff all the time. I see no reason why it wouldn't work to power up the cluster.
funny..it works
Old 08-04-2013, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is either one wrecked? If they are not wrecked they were probably junked for mechanical reasons.

Quick Reply: Checking Mileage at the Junk Yard 5.3/6.0 with a catch