Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

ABS? Plastic Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS? Plastic Questions

Background:

I bought a brand new SLP air lid and cracked it while installing. The crack is about 1/4 inch long on the next that connects to the MAF. I also managed to put a few minor gouges in the face of the lid while trying to manhandle it onto the MAF (either I'm an idiot, or this thing was way harder to install than it should have been, probably both.)

Questions:

I have heard that 3M Panelbond is a good plastic adhesive, do any of you expert paint and body guys think that would work to fix the crack? If not, what is a better option for me?

Anyone else have a better way of installing the lid once I get it all fixed up and repainted? I heated it over the damn stove and still had a helluva time installing it. Maybe using a silicone coupler? Has anyone else done this?\

Any help would really be appreciated!
Old 08-03-2013, 01:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a little research on plastic welding. ABS is pretty easy compared to many other plastics. donor material can be welded in either by hot air or contact welding(like solder gun).
ABS does glue up ok, Lowes or plumbing supply has black abs glue. I once made a 2 into 1 air intake from abs pipe by cutting 2 90 degree sections in half & gluing with abs pipe glue, then doing some sanding & light buffing later. Didn't look perfect, but held together great.
Never tried more expensive glues on abs, didn't personally need them.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ABS is decently solvent-weldable and thermo-formable.
You might just put a backing strip on the inside using
the do-all PVC/CPVC/ABS pipe cement or one of the
Weld-On formulations (I've used #16 for acrylic work,
good stuff) and set the break.

Quick Reply: ABS? Plastic Questions