Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project "Just an LT1" LT1LS3-T..

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Project "Just an LT1" LT1LS3-T..

Well, I had typed a solid hour of an actual build that was detailed... But stupidly I typed it in Internet explorer... Which crashed like the pile of f**k that it is. So here's a short version.

Bought the car as a graduation present to myself in 2007 it came stock with an SS hood, Ram air intake, SLP mid length headers and a flow master exhaust.

Car went from stock to Cam, to heads and cam to a spun rod bearing over the period of the last 6 years.

Blew it up last year at power cruise (2012) in Minnesota here.

After the heads and cam swap the car ran hard. It surprised a ton of LS1 cars that thought it was a stock lt1 car.
I always got, and Still do hear, "It's just an LT1 car" hence the projects name.

Bought a wrecked 99 Camaro ss for the drive train.

The wrecked car had:

Cammed LS3
T56
9" rear end
Nitrous
and some suspension.

Swapped the stuff in over the period of 3 weeks. The car runs well. Needs a final tune once I get the Nitrous in. I'm hoping for some where around 460rwhp on motor and some where in the 600rwhp range on nitrous. We'll see how it goes though!

The car when I bought it:

The donor car:

Cut some **** up, to make more working room:

Pull subframe/motor/tranny combo on two gojacks and a homemade dolly under the trans:

Install said combo into the good car:

Make nasty, cheap *** fuel solution to drive the car in 18 hours:

Oooh, neat:

Fab up a cheap *** (Not really, **** was still 100 bones from pepboys) Air intake setup to be able to drive the car.

Ooh Fancy:

Got check engine lights?:

^^No ***** given, Drive it hard^^

Looks good all cleaned up:

Looks sick with the drag wheels on:

Goes pretty good too: (6.1L challenger SRT with a D1 on 8psi Guy said 580 horse. I'm assuming, and hoping for his sake that's at the crank. This car doesn't run that hard)

Afraid old man will say you jumped him? **** it, give him a car and the jump.

Both of those runs are on motor. The nitrous isn't completely hooked up yet. Need a timing controller so the car can get a final tune from Carl.
Jump that.

There was tons more of back story to the car and the build.. but **** crashed so that's out. Boost will be going in this winter as long as everything goes well.

There are a ton of things to redo and clean up. But up here in Minnesota, we have like 2 months MAX of driving season left. So I'll leave it be as is right now. I'll clean it all up and redo the half assed stuff this winter when the snail goes in.

Last edited by Sk8phreak88; 02-25-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Default Bump...

Well, last season was fun with the new setup... Got a few cool shots while it was out.

"LS nation" on facebook saw this picture, guess they liked it and shared it. It got nearly 1,000 likes so I thought that was pretty cool!

But this part might make this thread a little more exciting...

PT8847

This kit was picked up from a local around here in MN... Whose build thread is posted on here as well. Search "project Red headed screamer"

I'm hoping the kit does some work with my ls3 this coming year!
Old 02-25-2014, 02:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great man! Just finishing up my lt1 to ltx swap. Hope to fire it off this weekend. Here is a picture to help motivate ya with your turbo build...

Old 02-25-2014, 02:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by coolmanvette75
Looks great man! Just finishing up my lt1 to ltx swap. Hope to fire it off this weekend. Here is a picture to help motivate ya with your turbo build...

I saw your build! There's a few mn people heading down to tx2k and I said to watch out for a maroon "lt1" car! Yours looks great. Almost makes me want to go racecar style with mine. The turbo kit I have keeps most everything in stock locations. I only need to move the alt. a/c stays in place and the radiator doesn't even move.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

Hahahaha thanks man. Looking forward to seeing progress on yours. Gonna be fun!
Old 02-25-2014, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Nice build, also from MN, used to work at Carlson Toyota. I'm I'll have to stop thinking every Pre-98' is "just an LT1", from now on...
Old 02-25-2014, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

There will be 2 ls-turbo lt1 cars now that are out and about often once mines done. The other one is a red lt1 formula with a 370" and a good sized snail.

Quick Reply: Project "Just an LT1" LT1LS3-T..