Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Default weird starting issue

Hey guys I just picked up an 02 TA and it runs good except for a weird issue I haven't been able to track down so I'm looking for some advice.

Occasionally after sitting overnight the car does not start up. It turns over just doesn't fire. I checked fuel pressure and it's 60+ psi with the key on. Resting voltage is 12.6 ish and running voltage is 14+. While cranking the voltage drops to around 11. That all seemed normal, but I know that doesn't mean there is enough current, so I had Oreilly's test the alternator and battery and they said they were both good.

Now, when this happens, if I jump the car with my truck giving it a solid 13+ volts throughout cranking it fires right up. That makes me think it has to be something electrical but I'm not sure what else to check. I'm going to check the ground wires and make sure they are good, but does anyone else have ideas?

oh and couple other things I've noticed is that the turn signal is really tired sometimes and blinks really slow. and this might not be related but if I try to drive the car before it has warmed up it cuts off sometimes. I think this might be because the previous owner installed a larger throttle body without the correct tuning though (this also made the check engine light come on with a lean condition code).

Last edited by infinitebird; 08-02-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply: weird starting issue