95 Z28 V6 turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Z28 V6 turbo swap

original thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...urbo-swap.html

Sadly this car was not ever finished... but the good news is that it is still a work in progress. I will copy a couple of the more recent updates.

(3/15/2013)

I was just thinking about my turbo SHO earlier and I figured I would let everyone know this project is still alive.

A decision was made to weld V bands onto the stock manifolds to eliminate the never ending exhaust leak that I had on my other turbo SHO. It was later found out that the wrong welding wire was used so the weld will be ground off next week and it will be re welded using the proper wire.

yep that is all that was done over winter.
small update on this pain in my butt. (7/27/2013)

this is from last weekend

Finished all of the exhaust up yesterday
coil pack mounted
oil catch can mounted
turbo bracket modified so alternator will fit
drawings sent off for alternator bracket to be cut
removed engine so I can pull oil pan and weld oil drain for turbo. After oil drain is welded the oil pan will be sealed for the last time and the engine will go in for the final time!

total time to pull the engine from fully assembled car is 1.5 hours

Once the engine goes back in there is not much left to do. Brake lines fuel lines, button up wiring disaster, make trip to ferry to have oil lines made for power steering, install windshield. Then I will find out if my told turbo SHO engine will live again after the fiasco with napa.
this is from right now

I got a fitting from ferry on walden, and I have to say that I am always impressed with their service. I brought them a pretty obscure setup that will replace the factory oil level sensor and they actually had it. Thumbs up to them as always. I went into the shop excited to test the new fitting and of course it fit like a glove. The hose is really close to the starter but does not rub so I got lucky that it happened to fit. I was going to drill, tap, and braze a fitting into the oil pan for the oil return from the turbo but this works out really well since I have no provisions to use the factory low oil level sensor. pulled the oil pan and realized I am missing 1 of the 2 oil pan gaskets. I tore the garage apart and I can't find the other half anywhere. I am so pissed at myself for not looking for it last weekend and ordering it. In the process of looking for it I realized that I can't find my valve cover gaskets either. I call autozone and even with the commercial account is it 96 bucks for the valve cover gasket and 21 for the oil pan. Rock auto has the valve cover gaskets for 69 shipped and the oil pan gasket I got locally but it will not be here till wed. I am pretty bummed about loosing another weekend of working on it. My plan for the day was to get every part available bolted onto the car today and see where I am at.

Also my 1/2" intake spacers came in this week too so the injectors/fuel rail can be installed. This also means the intake, valve covers, oil pan, all turbo and all exhaust pipe, all intake pluming, intercooler, radiator, radiator hoses, catch can, coil pack, plug wires, and engine harness can all be installed for the last time. This was my plan for this weekend and it is all foiled because of a 3" piece of rubber went missing. Since the engine has to be pulled to service the oil pan this really ***** me. I thought about using RTV but I would never forgive myself if it ended up leaking and something happened to the engine. hopefully I can bang the install out on wed or thurs. I should be picking up the fuel pump this week so i can run the lines for that too.
(8/1/2013) Got the oil pan gaskets (special order) in yesterday so I started putting things back together. Got the oil pan on and properly sealed up. Installed oil drain fitting from ferry. Installed engine and up pipe, then the turbo, then the downpipe. Then since I forgot to move the steering shaft from the rack to the outside of the driver exhaust manifold it all came back out and I unbolted the manifold on the driver side to correct that. Then I reassembled the up pipe and turbo. Then I realized the radiator will not fit if the turbo bracket is installed so I took that back off so i could install the radiator. More to come tomorrow. My back is killing me so I am done for the day.

Today's work (8/2/2013)

oil cooler bracket installed

oil cooler (transmission) added

oil cooler (engine) added

oil filters added

got bored so I threw this in just to add some bling even though the intake is not there to attach it to

Installed the first of 4 charge pipes. I was going to install all but the final one and I found out that they were not all painted. So I sprayed and cleared them and they are drying for a couple days.

The days of cracking my head on this are over!!!!!!

I spent a bunch of time running around trying to locate bolts and ended up ordering them from mcmaster.com because they are crazy expensive locally. I am at a stand still till I get those bolts. I also made a shopping list on summit racing so I can start running hoses all over the place. Those AN fitting add up quick! There is still a bunch of stuff missing for the fuel system but I will deal with that tomorrow hopefully.

I spent a few min searching around on the best way to adapt my A1000 fuel pump to the stock sending unit. From what I am seeing you guys drill a hole in the sending unit and drop some 10an lines in there more or less. So perhaps this is something I can deal with tomorrow while I am waiting on hardware to arrive. Any tips on the fuel system would be helpful.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shortly after I posted the last update the car was involved in a building fire. I lost motivation to work on the car for about a year. The SHO community was not thrilled with this so with some motivation and help I pushed the car out and began the tedious task of cleaning the car, as well as pulling everything from the interior that was thrown in after the fire.

spark plugs were installed so even though the spark plug tubes were full of water the engine was not filled with water. I went through things quickly and The engine and trans should be fine other than being extremely dirty. The car did not suffer any heat damage so other than a rafter landing on the car which broke a mirror and scratched the front fenders pretty good there is no damage.

Name:  20150503_132541_zpsu2kuraiw.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  338.9 KB

Name:  20150503_132552_zpsa3j59cny.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  328.1 KB

Where am I at now? I need to re install the fuel tank and get it set up for my A1000 fuel pump. Is there a sending unit designed for the tank/pump or is it a custom setup? If it is custom do you guys have any pointers?

Quick Reply: 95 Z28 V6 turbo swap