Sponsored by:

LS376/480 Fuel Pump Inop ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS376/480 Fuel Pump Inop ????

Folks-
Been working on the Chevelle for the past 6 years or so, and I am finally ready to fire up the engine tomorrow. My problem is as follows: When doing some "pre flight" this evening, the Engine Malfunction light is blinking when the ignition switch is engaged, and the fuel pump has NO POWER. Now I am worried that something is wrong. Mind you, I am not following the startup sequence to a "T" because I just want to check fuel pump operation before I fire it up tomorrow. I am supposed to disconnect the ECU, attain oil pressure, then connect the ECU and fire engine. Do you think the ECU is smart enough to know that it has never been fired before, and I am out of sequence, and cutting power to the Fuel Pump? I might be giving the General too much credit here. I have checked the fuse, swapped in a few different relays, and the hot side of the fuel pump is still dead with the ignition switch on. My OBD II code reader (Torque App for Android) is coming back with no stored faults at the ECU. Okay. Then what is the blinking red Malfunction indicator mean? Why the dead fuel pump? Anyone have any ideas?

TJR
Old 08-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Default Car won't start

Bump with an update.
Went through the proper engine startup procedure. Got oil pressure, hooked up ECU, turned engine over. Nothing. No fuel pressure at the rail, and can't hear the fuel pump start pumping. I tested the wire under the hood that feeds the fuel pump, and I had +12v for about 2 seconds while key was in the ignition position. Then the MIL started flashing and power was cut to the fuel pump. I can rule out a bad ground. This morning I installed a new 10ga ground wire directly to the frame. Used a Dremel with cutoff wheel to clean up the area and remove all paint. So I have a 10ga ground wire mounted tightly directly to a clean spot on the chassis about 18" from the pump. I think it is doing the trick. This is something else. Any ideas?
TJR
Old 08-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Figured it out. Pulled the fuel pump out and there was a loose connection on the + side. It looked as if the connector was not fitting tight enough, and must have came off sometime in the past few years seeing how it was towed 2000 miles, then 50 miles 4 times on rough roads. On another note - got the engine started. Happy tonight.
TJR

Quick Reply: LS376/480 Fuel Pump Inop ????