Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

testing stock fuel rail after mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default testing stock fuel rail after mods

where can i take or to whom can i ship my fuel rail for pressure testing after i weld on AN fittings? if this is something i can do at home, how do i do it without setting my car on fire?
Old 08-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

You don't have to start the car, priming the pump with just the key, I was able to see 43+psi on the gauge. Some people use powder to make a leak easier to see.
What rail are you working with. Stock or aftermarket. I welded a 6AN on my stock rail so I'm curious.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks! its a stock ls6 style fuel rail. what kind of powder? the internet gives results for talcum powder.

and shouldn't i test it to a pressure double of what i expect to run? i figure if it holds up to 150 then running a max of 75 psi in an FI will be no problem. i'm pretty sure the walbro doesn't go that high.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Launching!

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, researched told me talcum also.
I had the 6AN tigged on the stock LS6 rail, which is difficult since it's not all metal, but the end cap where the schrader valve is, that's the only part that was magnetic. So my welder cut there saving some of the end cap and welding the 6AN to that. it developed a small hairline crack, so did a second pass. it wasn't accepting it too well. before I had it tested, I had it silver soldered also, on top of the tig, I did get a cap for the 6AN, so I can rig it up and test it with my compressor, but im comfy with it.

This is it just tigged

Quick Reply: testing stock fuel rail after mods