Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need good clutch/drivetrain shop SW Illinois

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need good clutch/drivetrain shop SW Illinois

Folks-
Got my car running this past weekend, and I have noticed a rattle/vibration coming from the transmission when it is in gear. If I can't diagnose/fix it myself, I will need a good clutch/drivetrain shop in SW Illinois (Fairview Heights area) that can assist. Can anyone recommend a no BS shop I can work with?

TJR
Old 08-07-2013, 03:30 PM
FormerVendor

Let us know when it is happening and what if anything changes or affects the rattle/vibration. Then it may be possible to provide insight to potential causes.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the clutch pedal in or out when it is making the noise? Feel free to call me as it may be easier to diagnose over the phone, Chris 817-750-2000
Appreciate your service!
Old 08-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Details – (New) LS3 engine (LS376/480), T56 1998 F-body, (New) GM F-body TOB shimmed 1/8", (New) GM LS3 12571611 flywheel, (New) GM LS7 clutch, (New) GM 14061685 PB.
Okay, I probably should have given more details. I actually have a Youtube video posted of me moving the car for the first time under its own power - and you can hear the noise. I could not hear it in the car, nor could I feel it in the pedal or the seat of my pants. I would post the link right now, but I am on a government computer, and they block all that stuff - but I will post it when I get home in a few hours. I really only noticed it when I had the car on jackstands, running, and in idling in gear so I could mess with the speedometer signal. It was running smooth, but about every 6 or 8 seconds it would shudder, produce a low frequency vibration, and I heard a rattle or a clicking sound coming from the transmission. I could not pinpoint exactly where it was coming from, as I was not about to climb under a car that was in gear with the engine running. The "event" would last for about 2-3 seconds, then it would smooth out again. And the cycle continued. On the Youtube video, it sounds more like a rapid clicking only when in gear, clutch engaged, and moving against gravity. It will be more clear when I post the video. I am thinking I probably have a misaligned clutch. Or I am just hoping that is it - but I admit, I am a manual transmission rookie. I had a Nissan truck many moons ago with a manual transmission and loved it. Had a bad a$$ 525i BMW in Germany with a 5-speed (awesome Autobahn car) and loved it. Hence, the reason I put one in the Chevelle. Which is also why I am thinking that whatever is wrong is probably something I did. Which is assemble the whole thing from the parts listed above.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...8-ws6-t56.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...6-install.html
I will post the video in about an hour. Look forward to hearing what you all think. I would prefer to fix this myself, but I don't want to screw it up again...

TJR
Old 08-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Default Youtube Video - What noise is my transmission making?

Here is the link. What do you all think?
Listen for the clicking noise when backing up the driveway. That is the same noise it made when on the jackstands - only "faster" and "louder."

TJR
Old 08-07-2013, 06:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the rpms varying when this is happening? I assume this is the same LS7 clutch from 5 years ago?

NVM watched the video, you are slipping the clutch during the video correct? Did it all of the sudden start doing this?
Old 08-07-2013, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Default Need a Shop?

This video was the first time EVER the car was in gear, moving under its own power. You are witnessing the very first time the clutch was ever actually used with the engine running. So, yes, it did just start doing this the very first time I ever moved the car. Was the clutch slipping? Well, not that I noticed. But, then again, I am not sure what the clutch is supposed to feel like since I have never driven any V8 manual transmission car. Since the wheels hung up on the curb for a moment, and I had to increase the throttle to get it up and over, then I would be willing to bet that the clutch was slipping a bit. But then again, not sure.
TJR
Old 08-08-2013, 08:03 AM
Staging Lane

Just a bump. Wondering if anyone can diagnose what sound my transmission/clutch is making in the attached video (below). Listen for when I shift into reverse, and when the tires hang up on the curb. ??????

TJR
Old 08-08-2013, 09:14 AM
FormerVendor

There didn't appear to be any excessive slip, driver induced or otherwise. I want to make sure we are on the same page. The sound is there when the pedal is fully released; it does not happen while it is being released correct? And, you don't feel the vibration anywhere right? You simply hear the sound. This doesn't sound like a pilot bearing issue to me. In most instances a damaged or incorrectly installed pilot will be evidenced by a whine or moan type sound (not a ticking noise).
Old 08-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

I plan to do some more investigating this weekend. Really, so far, what you see in the video is as far as the car has moved. I am getting the windshield installed Friday, and plan to take it in for an alignment on Sat morning. After that, I will try to give it a good diagnosis and post details on what I hear and when. Since I have a pretty significant high frequency hearing loss, I will try to enlist the help of a fellow Chevlle owner and master mechanic down at the Auto Hobby shop here on base. I will let you know what I turn up - but for now, I can say that I felt nothing but "smoothness" when depressing or releasing the clutch, and no vibration when moving. So far, the only thing I have is the noise on the video, and the vibration/judder when it was on the stands.
TJR
Old 08-08-2013, 12:41 PM
FormerVendor

Noises are interesting to diagnose. It is completely possible that you are hearing a heat-shield rattle or another component hitting upon rotation. See if the noise/frequency increases or if the sound changes with RPM and please keep us posted!

Quick Reply: Need good clutch/drivetrain shop SW Illinois