Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

97-02 Camaro radio opening dimension

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 97-02 Camaro radio opening dimension

Hey guys. I had looked and didnt see if anyone else posted this, so I took some measurements today of the radio bezel and opening dimensions for a 97-02 Camaro. I have been contemplating between the Pioneer AppRadio or putting a Nexus 7 in my dash.

Current bezel opening:
7 5/8" wide x 3 9/32" tall

Max reasonable opening:
7 5/8" wide x 4" tall

Stock HU physical size:
8 1/8" wide x 3 5/8" tall x 6 1/16" deep

The more I think about the Nexus 7, I really want to do it for the usability and the cool factor. However, I work offshore so my car sits for weeks at a time, and I think the Nexus would probably not do well not being charged up often.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

simple solution, design your Nexus 7 mounting system to support quick and easy removal so it's not limited to being strictly in car use.

similar to this, but with a connection or 2 to actually charge the tablet while it's in the car.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks man. I hadnt thought about holding the bezel with magnets. That would make it easy to take it on my rig, and prevent theft I have been reading a lot on the XDA forums about guys doing them in a bunch of Audis, C6 vettes, and the most thought out one I've seen is on a Trailblazer. I'm still contemplating my options. I almost bought a cheapy single-DIN HU today with bluetooth just to have the phone audio and calling as a bandaid until I really make a future plan. I would love to see if anyone else has done a tablet in an F-body though.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there was one on here awhile back that did a Samsung Tab 2 7" (like I have), and another that did it in a vette, I still haven't bother with a mount, I've got my pioneer radio I've had for about 2 years with bluetooth (calling, not audio streaming) and I just run a cable between my Tab and the aux in on the radio, based on my firebird bezel dimensions I will need to relocate the HVAC controls to get the room to put the Tab there and then find another place to hide the Headunit, unlike most I intend to retain the Pioneer for volume control and in case I need to play a CD (sometimes friends want to here their CD's on my system). It would be easier if the tablet was like a 6 inch model as it would fit the 1.5 DIN opening alot better.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

Very true. I wonder if you can find a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 cheap and if it will fit with little to no modifications. I think that has a 5.5" screen. For me, I havent bought a CD in years, and anyone that rides with me has their music on their phone so the CD isnt important to me. Even all my movies are in mp4 or mkv format, so I dont play DVDs or BRs.

Quick Reply: 97-02 Camaro radio opening dimension