Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

truck oil sending unit with car gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck oil sending unit with car gauges?

So I have an 02 camaro ss gauge cluster going in my 68 swb. Turned it over tonight to make sure I have oil pressure and no funny noises going on, and my gauge doesn't read at all. Has anyone used this combo and it worked? Trying to figure out if it is a wiring problem or if I actually have no oil pressure.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Sending units should be the same. Or at least the same ohm range. Did you have the oil pick up tube off? Or if it's set for a long time, the oil pump could be dry and not sucking oil. You could pull a valve cover and see if its getting any oil, or hook up a mechanical gauge to be sure.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Teching In

I had a similar issue with my 1992 Trans Am LQ4 swap I ended up installing my original sending unit and it worked fine.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Sending units should be the same. Or at least the same ohm range. Did you have the oil pick up tube off? Or if it's set for a long time, the oil pump could be dry and not sucking oil. You could pull a valve cover and see if its getting any oil, or hook up a mechanical gauge to be sure.
Thanks for the response!

I put a brand new pan with a new pick up tube on it, and I'm not sure how long the engine sat before I bought it. Do you know of any way to go about fixing either of these issues?
Old 08-08-2013, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by operatorfailure
Thanks for the response!

I put a brand new pan with a new pick up tube on it, and I'm not sure how long the engine sat before I bought it. Do you know of any way to go about fixing either of these issues?
I've heard horror stories about people pinching the O ring on the pick up tube and the pump sucking air it not sealing, that's why I asked. On the dry oil pump, I had to over fill my last engine to get the oil pump to prime, since the engine had sat for literally years with no oil in it, it took a lot to get pressure. I put several extra quarts in it so that the pump was submerged in oil, (also may help to jack the rear of the car as high as you safely can) spun it over with the spark plugs out until it got pressure, drained the extra oil out and started it. It's been good ever since. Might be worth a try.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:29 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks, I just might try the extra oil.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

I just cranked on it for about 10 seconds, waited a minute, and probably 2 seconds into the second round of cranking it pulled about 40 psi. That was a relief.

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: truck oil sending unit with car gauges?