Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS T56 advice F Body vs GTO

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS T56 advice F Body vs GTO

Planning ls2 swap into 1st gen Camaro. Picked up an ls1 T56(no bellhousing). Plans changed n now I'm thinking I'll just buy a pullout GTO LS2. Question - is it worth it to run the LS1 T56 or should I buy a pullout motor / trans together from the same gto?? Ive searched a ton on here and read about the differences in ratios between the two trannies. I've also read the LS2 trans has higher torque rating but cant find anything to confirm this.

Trying to save $$$ everywhere I can b/c I decided I have to cough up the extra cash for the LS2's 140 lbs weight savings over an LQ4. I would need to buy a bellhousing, slave, clutch, etc and prob have my trans gone thru n upgraded. Can i come out ahead trying to do this or should I just spend the $7k on a motor /trans combo and sell my ls1 t56 to try n recoup some of the expense? Opinions...?

Not going to go nuts w the car but am going for handling as top priority, autocross, road course, etc. Plans are just a cam swap n long tubes for now. Gonna also try n use all the gto accssories and clearance or notch subframe as needed.

Quick Reply: LS T56 advice F Body vs GTO