LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

metal on metal sound when trying to crank?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 02:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default metal on metal sound when trying to crank?

I have a 93 transam auto that produces a metal scraping sound when trying to start it. The noise lasts less than a sec and causes the motor to stop turning immediately. My wife was the last person to drive my car so Im not sure what happend.. I changed the starter since I had one laying around but I still have the same problem. My guess is that the sprocket that the starter turns is broken or bent (sorry dont know the name...is it still a flywheel in an auto?)

Anyways the car is in my dads garage 3 hrs away so I would like to narrow the search through others experiences if possible. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In an automatic tranmissioned car, it's called a flexplate.

I highly doubt that a flexplate would suddenly crap out, unless something else happened. You tried another starter, but was the second starter known to be good, before you put it in? I know it's a long shot, especially since you don't know ALL of the circumstances around the failure of the original starter, but you might try adding a couple of shims to the starter. MAYBE something shifted around, and the starter's drive gear is hitting the flexplate rather than engaging it.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
In an automatic tranmissioned car, it's called a flexplate.

I highly doubt that a flexplate would suddenly crap out, unless something else happened. You tried another starter, but was the second starter known to be good, before you put it in? I know it's a long shot, especially since you don't know ALL of the circumstances around the failure of the original starter, but you might try adding a couple of shims to the starter. MAYBE something shifted around, and the starter's drive gear is hitting the flexplate rather than engaging it.
Thanks for the reply. Ill give it a shot.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Check to see if there are any teeth missing in the flexplate.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So it wont start the car at all? I would pull off the inspection plate and look for broken teeth on the flexplate also.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Check to see if there are any teeth missing in the flexplate.
Thank you. I didnt see broken teeth when putting in the starter but that is a very small viewing window. I will definitely take a better look.

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
So it wont start the car at all? I would pull off the inspection plate and look for broken teeth on the flexplate also.
Car will not start at all. It only makes the metal rubbing noise every time the key is turned but its binding enough so that the car will stop making any turning noise after a sec.

Thanks for the replies if anyone has any other theories post them up and ill give it a try next time im there.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Ok I just got off the phone with my friends brother (auto shop manager) and he said the first thing I should do is remove the serpentine belt and try to crank it over. If it cranks freely I need to look for the locked up accessory (power stearing, ac compressor). The cars I usually work on have individual belts so I never would have considered this....I figured the belt would just break.

Quick Reply: metal on metal sound when trying to crank?