Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

May be trading for a C5 Z06 very soon.. have questions?

Old 08-08-2013, 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default May be trading for a C5 Z06 very soon.. have questions?

I'm possibly trading my truck in on a 04 Z06 next week. I've searched but I figure it will be easier to get a clear answer all in one place. First off what major problems do C5s have that I need to look for. I've read about the left axle seal and leaking battery problems but aside from those and your basic used car checklist what are other deal breakers do I need to watch out for. Also in terms of performance what drawbacks do C5s have that will need to be corrected such as a Fbodys 10 bolt, clutch master cylinder etc. I don't plan on going crazy with the car maybe going cam only for a while but I want to fix the little things that will annoy me first (like crappy clutch hydraulics etc). In other words what sucks on a C5 Z06 so I can watch out for it before the purchase or improve on once I get it. Thanks
Old 08-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The battery grounds across the car sometimes need a little refresh. The rear end will handle probably up to 700 ft/lb before you need to beef it up. The crappy clutch hydraulics carry over from the fbodies. If you do cam / heads make sure to swap to LS7 lifters and don't skip on new push rods / etc.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The EBCM sometimes can go bad, or be bad, but its an relatively cheap fix. This place can help out if its bad. http://www.absfixer.com/

It's $150 to get it taken care of. A new unit up is over $700. If you want to, (I would) you can check the codes in the DIC (Digital Instrument Cluster) by holding the "fuel" button, while at the same time pressing the "options" button 5 times. This will give you all the codes current and historical (history codes have an "H" behind the code). Historical codes can be, but aren't necessarily old. They could've happened 10 minutes ago but you've since turned the car of and on a few times. This said, vettes throw codes at times for no particular reason. It's really only an issue if it happens consistently. To find a list of C5 codes, search on the Vette forum. You can get a list of EVERY code out there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: May be trading for a C5 Z06 very soon.. have questions?