Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Not sure where to post this-

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure where to post this-

I have a goverment contract job coming up and have a car allowance for a new car. Im in the market for a V8, rwd, four door car, in the $30k range. I have been looking at alot of CTS-V's but they seem a little over kill for my needs. It doesnt need to be overly glamourous/nice, just be clean with better than average power.

In my searching I found this:
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3942981693.html

But I cant find much info about it other than the CL posting. Is it that rare of a car? Thoughts on this car? Any other suggestions for a car that fit my needs?
Old 08-10-2013, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For the money there are nicer cars out there. I think he wants too much. As a "fleet" vehicle i cannot imagine they were overly expensive new (ignore his go look at the holden website for current prices...) plus that is a fairly stripped down basic car. You may not need a fancy car, but why pay more for less (hey isn't there a commercial about that...)

I would look at Pontiac G8 GTs, CTS-Vs, There are some Mercedes that will fit your bill as well... but the V8 sedan with RWD is a narrow market. The CTS-V may not be as much overkill as you think it is. It first came out in 2004, so many new cars today match the level of luxury and features that the first gen V's had at a much cheaper price today.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could always just do one of the late model P71 Crown Vics. 2007+ I think are the really good ones.

A lot of people like those, and easy to find at a Gov. auction.

A CTS-V is nice, I daily drive it to/from work, and you can buy two for what that Chevy will cost you.

You can find a 2007 model here and there with extended warranty for around $20k. Someone on here drives his something like 1000 miles a week, and his has bee great to him.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
I would look at Pontiac G8 GTs, CTS-Vs, There are some Mercedes that will fit your bill as well... but the V8 sedan with RWD is a narrow market..
Just remember with something domestic, you're not going to have the same kind of costs associated with an European model.

The front pads and rotors for an E55 Mercedes is $1200-1500. Not including installation and labor... that's JUST pads and rotors, for the front.

Ours? $324 for ALL FOUR corners, pads and rotors.

A friend just took his C63 in for a check engine light, so far his bill is up to $5k JUST for this visit alone. He ends up at the dealership more than I ever thought he would... and always ends up with a hefty bill......
Old 08-10-2013, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by meatyCTS-V
The front pads and rotors for an E55 Mercedes is $1200-1500. Not including installation and labor... that's JUST pads and rotors, for the front.

Ours? $324 for ALL FOUR corners, pads and rotors.
I think you're comparing dealer highway robbery prices vs. non-dealer prices. I can go to Rock Auto and get front rotors and pads for an E55 AMG for $200-300. And I can go to a Cadillac dealer and spend a heckuva lot more than $324 to get all 4 rotors and pads for our cars.

With that said, yes, maintenance on a German luxury car is almost certainly going to be higher than on a domestic car, particularly if you're letting the dealership do it.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't remember where I looked at the prices for the pads and rotors for the E55, I think it was one of the more popular enthusiast part suppliers for the E55.

I just remember it being huge money, obviously I looked at the wrong place, that was 3 years ago...
Old 08-11-2013, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

He's asking way too much. I was shopping for a new DD last summer and ended up getting a hail damaged 2012 Charger Pursuit (hemi) for about $17k. I was talking to a dealer in TX that had a couple NEW ones on the lot that were asking $25k. If you want one I hear they're great cars. The only downfall is that they're automatic only (if that bothers you). I prefer to row my own.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by eagle-co94
He's asking way too much. I was shopping for a new DD last summer and ended up getting a hail damaged 2012 Charger Pursuit (hemi) for about $17k. I was talking to a dealer in TX that had a couple NEW ones on the lot that were asking $25k. If you want one I hear they're great cars. The only downfall is that they're automatic only (if that bothers you). I prefer to row my own.

James what in the world you doing in this side of the internet.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

I really need something thats more "goverment" type and not stand out to much. I kinda like the car listed in the craigslist add, but I cant even find another one like it for sale to compare pricing.

I agree it maybe a little overpriced but its within my budjet, and I really want a 4 door with a LS engine.

The Dodge Charger Pursuit is my second choice, but really looking for a GM car.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by grey95buick
James what in the world you doing in this side of the internet.
I go through cars like some people change underwear. My Charger Pursuit is gone (sold it 10k miles later for almost the same price I paid for it!). I'm now driving an '05 V and have an '05 V parts car so I can spruce mine up.

Originally Posted by tonypaul
I really need something thats more "goverment" type and not stand out to much. I kinda like the car listed in the craigslist add, but I cant even find another one like it for sale to compare pricing.

I agree it maybe a little overpriced but its within my budjet, and I really want a 4 door with a LS engine.

The Dodge Charger Pursuit is my second choice, but really looking for a GM car.
Well, I'm not sure if you know, but the government has used quite a few Pontiacs (and still does) so a G8 GT would fit nicely...or a G8 GXP if you're lucky enough to find one.

I dug one up for you for $1k less and under 2k miles: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...41009509&Log=0

I bet you can get an equivalent deal on this one: http://www.karlchevrolet.com/new-Des...MK5U24CL601141
Old 08-11-2013, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Here's a couple more: http://www.sutliffchevrolet.com/Vehi...Cc!-2005940257

http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars...rice_180723782

If you have an allowance I'd max it out and get the newest car you can, even if it means coming out of pocket a little. Consider a lease with a buy-out option at the end too. It sounds like you may be spending a LOT of time in the car so the newest possible car with an extended warranty would be good.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eagle-co94

If you have an allowance I'd max it out and get the newest car you can, even if it means coming out of pocket a little. Consider a lease with a buy-out option at the end too. It sounds like you may be spending a LOT of time in the car so the newest possible car with an extended warranty would be good.
You're just throwing your money away with a lease, and when it comes to buy-out time, you're not going to be given a price even reasonably within market value...
Old 08-12-2013, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Ah, but you see it's not his money. It's an allowance for a vehicle and I'm sure it's not a blank check. Do you have lease experience? I don't, but I don't see a dealer demanding more than retail for the car. Market price doesn't really apply at a car dealer, but that's where your negotiating skills come in.

Quick Reply: Not sure where to post this-