Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got Vortec, Not positive what-> Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Just got Vortec, Not positive what-> Upgrades?

Hello folks. I've been away from the forum for a while. Just purchased a '61 Bubbletop Chevy that I want to put an LS engine in.

I just purchased http://www.ebay.com/itm/290956004551?item=290956004551&viewitem=&vxp=mtr on eBay. Based on what he says, it may be a VortexMAX.

From an apperance perspecctive, I'm wanting to make it more like my LS1 in my 56 Chevy Convertible, as below:

I'm presuming I will need a new intake (recommendations?...FAST?). While I interest in performance, I have a stronger interest in gas economy, and prefer to keep the spending on parts reasonable too.

I'm just not sure what all I'll need. Maybe fuel rails too? It is coming complete, including ECM, and wiring harness (although I suspsect I'll have to have one made) He will be shipping it with a water pump as well, which is not pictured.

I need to decide which tranny to get, probably will get a 4L60E, although that's probably for another post somewhere other than engine area. I don't know the difference between the 4L trannys. I'll do some research first.

Any insight you can share would greatly be appreciated.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm putting this engine in a 61 Chevy Bubbletop.

ONe thing I've learned, is I need to change oil pan to the 19212593

From the research I've been doing, to get the Car LS type engine, I just need to change the intake. Of course get one with fuel rails.

I'm debating whether or not I want to put a cam in it. I would like to bring this engine at least close to the performance I get with my LS1 in my 56. It's an '04 Corvette LS1.

But, my larger interest is in good gas mileage, so not sure if I should do a cam or not. I'll search for some threads here on performance upgrades.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I gather that a moderator moved my thread to this forum. I really do appreciate that.

I did find the General LS Engine Swap Guide in the stickies, so I'm on to reading that. I expect it will answer most if not all of my conversion questions in my first post.

I got a bit excited when I saw a swap guide for X bodies...thought that might include a 61 Chevyi Bubbletop (has an X frame)...but not the case.

Looking forward to discussions here as time goes on.

Quick Reply: Just got Vortec, Not positive what-> Upgrades?