Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

T-Top vs hardtop structure.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation T-Top vs hardtop structure.

Hey guys im curious how much stronger (less flex or problems) a hardtop would be compared to a t top? would it only change the structure if the t tops were taken out or be just as strong if they were still on the car like a hardtop? thanks i plan on having about 700hp at the crank so this may be an issue, ps not dragging it.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Also could i add any structure supports to make it just as good as a hard top or better?
Old 08-12-2013, 11:55 PM
12 Second Club

ive seen a few threads debating it, and i believe the difference was marginal at stock power, but greater at 700ish. id say get welded subframe conns, and a welded 6pt roll bar at that power
Old 08-13-2013, 12:13 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

The metal (ie structural) part of the hardtop and t top cars are exactly the same in the center of the car. Around the door/window on each side is where it's different. I highly doubt a solid piece of metal vs. a glass and plastic t top is going to be comparable in strength, but does that area of the car even flex is the question.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

99% of people will never be able to tell the difference between the two.

The 4th gen cars were designed to have ttops.

I believe there is a difference, but its so small thats its not measurable.

A properly setup 4th gen will be rigid as hell. (mine )
Old 08-14-2013, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

yeah but will it cause the body to bend at 700hp?
Old 08-14-2013, 05:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

no.

Hate to say it but 700hp now isnt like 700 hp used to be.

Much more common with all the turbo builds we have now.

The car will only flex if you can put that 700 hp to the ground.

Get some strut frame connectors, tubular torque arm, panhard bar, and lower control arms and you will be fine.

Better yet, find the threads where guys convert to Ttops and look at the thin metal that they cut out.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

ok will all that add to much weight? so t tops could be just a strong as a hard top? what if i take the car to a drag strip with all the stuff you said on the car will it be completely fine?
Old 08-15-2013, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Weld in subfame connectors and then this question will be rendered moot. If you're thinking of building a high power car without doing the proper suspension work to handle it than that is just crazy.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:52 AM
TECH Regular

Back in 2002 people were popping t tops off at the track when they were spraying out of the hole. Sub-frame connectors would fix this problem. Can't say I ever saw a hardtop car have roof flex or anything like that though.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression the hard top wasn't even metal, but fiberglass like the sail panel on t-top cars, and glued on. Never looked into it though. I wish I had my hard top back.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spy2520
I was under the impression the hard top wasn't even metal, but fiberglass like the sail panel on t-top cars, and glued on. Never looked into it though. I wish I had my hard top back.
What ever material it is, wont do much for any hard top guy.

Interesting about taking t tops off at the track. Seems like that would cause aero disadvantages toward the end of the track that may slow one down even more.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The outer skin is sheet molded compound. The under structure is identical to the t-top car, except the outer rails. When you remove the skin , it looks like this.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4vert
The outer skin is sheet molded compound. The under structure is identical to the t-top car, except the outer rails. When you remove the skin , it looks like this.
Those A-B pillar outer frame rails on the hardtop would provide a significant increase in torsional rigidity and probably at least some in bending, although I doubt this has ever been published outside of GM testing. I was never impressed with the 4th gen t-top structure and in hindsight I would have searched for a hardtop if I had to do it over.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
...Interesting about taking t tops off at the track. Seems like that would cause aero disadvantages toward the end of the track that may slow one down even more.
they weren't taking the t-tops off, they were popping them off...in other words, there was apparently enough flex under hard launches that the latches came loose and the t-tops got sucked right off the top of the car. i've seen videos of a t-top flying off going down the track before, but having a hard time locating one right now...they're out there, though, if you look enough

you're right, the hard top roof isn't metal, it is fiberglass like the t-top cars' sail panels are...but the roof itself is basically just a "helmet" for the car, it's just there to protect what's under it (some sheet metal, the headliner, and your head) from the elements.

there is extra rigidity to be had from the metal bracing on both sides of the car on a hardtop car, though...many people say it's negligible, but if you're into cornering at all, even that thin sheet metal will cause the top to flex a lot less than it would if it were a t-top car, especially if you're hard cornering at road race/auto-x events on really sticky tires. welded subframe connectors, sway bars, and a shock tower brace will all reduce how much flex there is during hard cornering, but every little bit helps, right? something is better than nothing when it comes to bracing.

Quick Reply: T-Top vs hardtop structure.