Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Rear diff bushing install price

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear diff bushing install price

What have you guys paid to have the bushing swap done?
Old 08-13-2013, 08:36 PM
FoD
On The Tree

I was quoted $300 without parts from my local dealership. But, a local speedshop said he would do it for free with my clutch install. I did it myself, without much hassle. I did have a homemade tool made by Pisnuoff, and that was necessary!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Has anybody done it without a special tool?!
Old 08-14-2013, 04:35 AM
Launching!

I think you only need the tool if you have the creative steel? I thought the revshift mount was different in some way making it easier to install. Dunno for sure though mine is still sitting in the box

Last edited by TeamSorad; 08-14-2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:51 AM
On The Tree

I'm not sure. I have a revshift bushing. Thinking about doing it myself so just trying to find out
Old 08-14-2013, 05:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 707_z28
I'm not sure. I have a revshift bushing. Thinking about doing it myself so just trying to find out
1. You'll need jack stands and jacks that get the car high enough off the ground to work.
2. A good drill with a hole saw bit big enough to go over the inner metal part of the mount but small enough to fit inside the outside metal sleeve.
3. You have to get the exhaust out if the way, stock exhaust you'll need to remove the 4 nuts up front holding the pipes to the converter down pipes. They will be rusty and hard to remove, be prepared to break them. Remove the 2 bolts holding the little exhaust center support. Take off the three rubber hangers on each side at the rear and have someone help you lower it down.
4. With a bright color paint pencil make an index mark on drive shaft where it connects to the differential. You'll want to get it line back up in the same position before you took it apart.
5. Remove the bolts holding the drive shaft to the rear diff.
6. Push it over towards the drivers side of the car and prop it up on another jack stand, just so you're not hanging all the weight on the carrier bearing.
7. 21mm wrenches and/or sockets remove the bolt holding the front of the diff.
8. Same 21mm bolts hold the rear of the diff. Take one out, and loosen the other. Use a jack or the guy standing around drinking all your beer to support the diff when you remove the last bolt.
9. The diff will be dropped down supported by the axle shafts. Time to bust out the drill and hole saw bit. Cut the rubber away from the outer metal sleeve.
10. Once it's free it will pop out. Now use a sawzall VERY CAREFULLY to cut through just the metal sleeve. Once it's cut through it will also pop out.
11. Take one half of the revshift bushing, lube it up with the supplied lube, push it in by hand on the back side of the diff mount. Then lube and push in the front half, last the metal sleeve of the bushing.

Put it all back together. Using a floor jack helps lift the diff back into position and hold it there until you get the bolts started.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:32 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^#10 above is very risky. Using the sawzall leaves you open to scoring the diff at it's weakest point. Find a tool to properly remove the stock sleeve. I do not have any left to loan out (at one point I had 6 of them but people decided not to return them). Creative Steel rents a tool that can be used to remove and install sleeved diff bushings.

#8 - buy a 13/16 (they don't sell a 21mm ratcheting) ratcheting wrench for these two bolts, it makes it a ton easier.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
^^^#10 above is very risky. Using the sawzall leaves you open to scoring the diff at it's weakest point. Find a tool to properly remove the stock sleeve. I do not have any left to loan out (at one point I had 6 of them but people decided not to return them). Creative Steel rents a tool that can be used to remove and install sleeved diff bushings.

#8 - buy a 13/16 (they don't sell a 21mm ratcheting) ratcheting wrench for these two bolts, it makes it a ton easier.
Yep #10 is risky, but not impossible, take your time. My sawzall is variable speed, so I turned it down to near hand saw speed, cut a little, checked, cut some more, checked.

I just used box wrenches and sockets, was easy really.

Quick Reply: Rear diff bushing install price