Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adapter for FTP 104

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Adapter for FTP 104

Due to several reasons, I want to keep my *now* spare FTP 104 lid and sell my SLP lid. However, I don't intend on upgrading to a 100mm MAF or SD just yet. Therefore, I would like to use my spare FTP 104 with the stock MAF.

I know people have said there is no adapter for a FTP 104 lid to a stock MAF, but I was poking around intakehoses.com and saw that they offered a reducing insert. I am using a reducing coupling right now for my stock MAF to throttle body connection, but this looks like it would slip into the lid and adapt the inside diameter to a MAF.

Anyone used one of these reducing inserts? Not a reducing coupler, an insert. If not, I don't mind being a guinea pig... but would I go with the 4" OD to 3.5" ID, or 4" OD to 3.75" ID for an FTP 104 to stock MAF?
Old 08-16-2013, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bump... no one's tried this insert? I'll settle for measurements of the stock MAF OD...
Old 08-16-2013, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OD on the skinny part is 3.54" the bigger lipped part is 3.60".
Old 08-17-2013, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
OD on the skinny part is 3.54" the bigger lipped part is 3.60".
Thanks for the response, rabid! I was finally able to get near a caliper last night and got the same measurements. I was about to post, but you beat me to it!

Ordered a 4" OD to 3.5" ID adapter this morning, I'll report back if it works for future LS1Tech searches...
Old 08-17-2013, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

Great, this will be good info. Thanks for being the guinea pig.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hot damn, it works! A little trimming of the adapter, a little trimming of the bellows and a little electrical tape... And it fits! I'll have a whole bunch of pictures Friday or Saturday, but it worked. Thanks for the help, rabid!
Old 08-30-2013, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Trimmed a little:

Assembled on MAF:

Inside view:

Final Assembly:

I ended up trimming the adapter back to the second inside rib, then wrapping the part that slips into the lid with three passes of electrical tape, kind of like what you have to do with a 100mm MAF. It did reduce the distance for the coupler from the MAF to the TB, but those are cheap, so I just trimmed mine.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:47 AM
TECH Resident

Cool stuff, this is good to know as a back up and it doesnt look like nearly the abortion I was expecting. I will say you need to wax the inside of the lid to match that MAF. Did you paint the MAF? That is one clean hevicle, sir!

I also like your shelf with the spray bottles. Where'd you pick that up?
Old 08-31-2013, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the feedback! I wish I could have cut the sleeve a little smoother, but overall it was just the right depth of install to sit flush with the end of the MAF. You can see in the first picture that I trimmed it back to the second "ridge" in the reducing insert, which just so happened to be the right depth for the MAF end.

The inside of the lid is admittedly filthy, that's overspray... The MAF is actually a $70 MAF end set from eBay, I believe anodized. Thanks for the compliment, I hope to soon be replacing the throttle body with a black powdercoated piece and giving the lid another crack at a paint job. Also I sanded the color off the FAST and I want to do some custom scheme of Cast Iron and silver... all in good time!

And unfortunately I don't know about the shelf, my older brothers passed it down to me more than 20 years ago, LOL!

But I digress, to try and keep this a little more on topic...

Quick Reply: Adapter for FTP 104