Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Strange case of wtf -- "Service Vehicle Soon" but no codes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange case of wtf -- "Service Vehicle Soon" but no codes.

DIC has been complaining every so often with "Service Vehicle Soon" messages, which appear to show up at random intervals, as I've had zero luck triggering it myself. Just now it popped on while I was leaving the gym, hadn't even got it into 1st gear before it bitched at me.

Stranger still I have a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter plugged in and constantly streaming to my Nexus, which hasn't been able to pull any logged or pending pending faults. A Hail Mary clearing of the codes (despite it reporting none) does nothing to alleviate the issue, surprise ...

Just yesterday I cleaned up the grounds on the passenger side head, under the hood strut and in the trunk behind the tail light; while it seemed to stabilize my oil temp problem, it didn't do jack **** for this.

I'm about ready to just fab up a mount for my Nexus and put it in front of the damned DIC if I can't get it to shut up.

Thoughts?
Old 08-14-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil change???
Old 08-14-2013, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking oil change or a low fluid as well
Old 08-15-2013, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same issue. 2004. "Service Vehicle Soon", "Battery not charging", "Service Stability System", battery light comes on intermittently, so does the ABS and traction control light.

Haven't had time to take it to the dealer.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sometimes a low battery charge will cause those too I found out
Old 08-15-2013, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone ever have issues with the brake control module? It caused ALL KINDS of issues including power steering, ABS,brake lights(always on) and all driving aids to be cut off... Before the motor went down I was dealing with that! It sucked!
Old 08-15-2013, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had all kinds of computer misbehavior. It is fixed by pulling the interior dimmer off of the full-bright position. It drains the battery as well as causes a ground loop that confuses the on-board communication bus. You can replace the switch for about $150 bucks but dimming the lights a little works fine. There's a Cadillac tsb about the randomly draining battery but it doesn't mention the computer stuff. It fixed everything for me. Explains why the dimmer was pulled back when I bought the car. I didn't see any problems for almost a year too, btw. Once I figured it out and the battery charged up, all the gremlins went away. Supposedly applies to cars built 9/2005 and back I think. Or maybe 9/2004. Mines an 05 and was right on the line, I just forget at the moment the exact date.

Here's a post from the other place I put up one day with the tsb specifics:

Is your interior light dimmer on full bright? Pull it back a little. The slide is faulty on early cars. I had randomly dying batteries, airbag warning light coming on while driving, and a few time the traction was off when I started the car and the steering wheel buttons didn't work. I don't know if it was the ground or the low battery but it all stopped with the stupid dimmer at 2/3 full bright.

Google Cadillac tsb #04-06-03-003C
Old 08-15-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife's alero used to get that message and ABS/TC when the electrical connection with the wheel hub would intermittently go out.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by isis
I have had all kinds of computer misbehavior. It is fixed by pulling the interior dimmer off of the full-bright position. It drains the battery as well as causes a ground loop that confuses the on-board communication bus. You can replace the switch for about $150 bucks but dimming the lights a little works fine. There's a Cadillac tsb about the randomly draining battery but it doesn't mention the computer stuff. It fixed everything for me. Explains why the dimmer was pulled back when I bought the car. I didn't see any problems for almost a year too, btw. Once I figured it out and the battery charged up, all the gremlins went away. Supposedly applies to cars built 9/2005 and back I think. Or maybe 9/2004. Mines an 05 and was right on the line, I just forget at the moment the exact date.

Is your interior light dimmer on full bright? Pull it back a little. The slide is faulty on early cars. I had randomly dying batteries, airbag warning light coming on while driving, and a few time the traction was off when I started the car and the steering wheel buttons didn't work. I don't know if it was the ground or the low battery but it all stopped with the stupid dimmer at 2/3 full bright.

This is pretty interesting.

I've noticed that sometimes the dash lights would dimly flicker from time to time, and figured out it was related to the dimmer slider.

Though I've also seen this very same flicker on my x girlfriends 30k mile 2007 CTS non-V.

Lately I know my alternator has been making some noise, but I've also noticed if I leave the car to sit for a day or two, the battery will be drained...

Hmmmm...
Old 08-15-2013, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by meatyCTS-V
This is pretty interesting.

I've noticed that sometimes the dash lights would dimly flicker from time to time, and figured out it was related to the dimmer slider.

Though I've also seen this very same flicker on my x girlfriends 30k mile 2007 CTS non-V.

Lately I know my alternator has been making some noise, but I've also noticed if I leave the car to sit for a day or two, the battery will be drained...

Hmmmm...
It's easy enough to check by dimming it a bit for a month and seeing if it goes away. It's not like a tsb where Cadillac actually acknowledges a problem is gonna be the end-all. I have seen, in my quest for a solution, where the alternator can cause similar electronics issues not related to the battery drain. The dimmer position is free to check. I just post it everywhere because it worked for me and was tough to track down. I bought a new battery (original size for $180 too, because I'm that green on the V.. ) and I haven't seen many posts about it. But if its big enough for a tsb, it's probably more common than we realize.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:14 AM
TECH Regular

I noticed if I turned my dimmer down (before I fixed the grounds) my oil temp would stop jumping as drastically, so it seems that definitely is a problem, but I've been cruising around with it dimmed for a feww days now and I'm still seeing it. Might see about just replacing that panel, it's annoying when it pops on for no reason, then the wife goes into panic mode thinking the car is about to implode or something.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by isis

I looked into this last night and turned my dimmer down. Turns out, my dimmer doesn't work at all. However, when I tried it this morning, my dimmer was working. I'll replace the dimmer switch and go from there.

Quick Reply: Strange case of wtf -- "Service Vehicle Soon" but no codes.