LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti headache!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opti headache!

So my 94 camaro quit running due to a bad opti, I had a shop replace it with a cheap cardone unit that I got for 220. (I know your supposed to use ac delco or msd but I'm leaving in less then 2 weeks for the marines so I just needed something cheap to slap on for a week or so) after they replaced it the car would start and idles, however it idles very rough and smells rich, also will not rev at all. The shop believes the timing is way off cuz the cheap part I bought is ****, broken or both. Just wanted to get more opinions or info on the mater. Fuel pump is good coil and Icm are brad new
Old 08-15-2013, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like the opti. When mines got drenched in coolant mines did the same..
Old 08-15-2013, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your 94 Is a pin drive. Did they install it correctly? A pin off could cause that. By the way delphi on amazon for like low 300's
Old 08-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Launching!

More than likely, they probably don't have the cam dowel pin in the right opti slot
Old 08-16-2013, 10:35 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its a pin drive, you can't screw it up. If you do you would break the opti. They're splined with a double spline to locate it in the proper position. But it does sound like there's something amiss. If you had a shop donut, taken it back and make them fix it. They should have a warranty on labor and the part has a warranty as well.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by duh
If its a pin drive, you can't screw it up. If you do you would break the opti. ...
Not true. People force them on wrong all the time, pull it off and redo it right, then drive away.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya they can definitely be put on wrong. they dont sit flush which should be your first clue its not on correctly but you can put em on wrong

oh 94. havent put one of those on wrong lol
Old 08-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Ok, so I took the car home and replaced it myself, I swapped the opti for a brand new one because it was under warenty. I put the opti on correctly! I did not force it on I made sure it mated flush with the block with very minimal pushing. I know this cuz I had to take it off and spin the pin a little then try again like 6 times. I made sure it was on correctly. After I put every thing back together this morning and tried to fire her up, she ran the exact same way! Idels rough bogs down when I try to rev it and sounds/smells like crap! I am starting to wonder if it's the OPTi at al., I have a sneaky suspicion that it might be getting a weak spark due to a back coil wire. Because it's kind of weird that it did it for two brand-new OPTi sparks a row. It may be just a junk brand idk, but the coil wire has not been replaced since I've owned the car and it was falling apart when I tried to put it back on
Old 08-17-2013, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Replace the coil wire then check the fuel pressure with a gauge
Old 02-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Teching In

I bought a new opti from summit racing and replaced the coil wire, car runs great now. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 02-17-2014, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoslerkamaro
I bought a new opti from summit racing and replaced the coil wire, car runs great now. Thanks for all the help guys!
Awesome ....just curious, you get the Summit brand or AC delco? Who knows the Summit might be decent...I haven't heard of failures from them, and half the price. So many threads about craptacular Chinese autozone special optis, and people half assing just doing the cap and rotor that still have issues.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Yeah I bought the summit brand. It was like 280 if i remember right, pretty cheap. The junk optis that did not work were from autozone. The maker of them was Cardone.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:32 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went through 4 Cardone opti's before getting one that actually worked. Absolutely rediculous, but I was able to get autozone to warranty the water pump gaskets since it's required to remove it. I guess my AZ manger likes me for some reason.

Quick Reply: Opti headache!