Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Tweeters with coaxial simple question!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Tweeters with coaxial simple question!

Hey guys I have a seemingly simple question for the audio techs. Currently I run 4 62.9i infintys in the front and then 2 40.9is in the hatch area all amplified by a JL xd600 amp. The speakers are all 2 ohm as they sit now. I wasn't really satisfied with the front highs so I ordered a set of the infinity 10.9t tweeters with built in crossovers which are also 2 ohm.

The amp can be used on 2 or 4 ohms. I know people usually wire tweeters in parallel but here since both mine are 2 ohm can I just wore tem in series with the coaxial and then get a 4 ohm load to te amp? From my understanding the amp would still see a 2 ohm load until the crossover for the tweeter kicks in
Old 08-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you wire them in series it should be a 4ohm load that the amp sees. The nominal impedance for the 62.9i kappas are 2ohm, but the only thing that could change the impedance is Infinity uses those crossovers that are "true 4ohm technology" and I don't know what effect those would have with the final impedance the amp sees. I tried calling Infinity about their crossover specs and they were not helpful at all, they gave me the spin and would not answer any of my question regarding the specs of the crossovers for the 62.9i kappas. They even hung up on me.
I'm also curious why you wan't more highs with your set up? What is your crossover on your amp set at for those kappas or are you running them full range? Those kappas are so post to have really really good clean loud highs from all the reviews I've read on them. Make sure the buttons on the 62.9i tweeters are at 0db and not -3db.
I'm installing a JL XD400/4 and four 62.9i kappas I bought 2 weeks ago, so I hope they have loud clean highs.

Another way to go would be to delete your hatch speakers and bridge your JL amp. Bridge channel 1&2 for the front right then bridge channel 3&4 for the front left. That would give you 200 watts into a 4ohm load for each side. Then you could use your tweeters you bought and wire them in series to 4ohms for the fronts and still have channels 5&6 for your sail speakers. Hope this helps you out and gets you the front highs you're wanting.

Last edited by TX98Z28; 08-17-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Tweeters with coaxial simple question!