Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need recs to replace 1.5 din head unit.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Need recs to replace 1.5 din head unit.

I have a pioneer DEH-p77dh from many moons ago. I need to get into the 20th century as this unit doesn't even have an aux in capability. That's all I'm really looking for. The rest of the system ( speakers, amps, subs) are fine.
Any suggestions.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If aux input is all you're looking for, I'd just grab something like this: (non-sponsor link removed)

or something like this: (non-sponsor link removed)

the first one adds aux to your factory wiring harness, the second one just plugs in between your antenna and the antenna jack on the unit. It's similar to using an fm modulator, however because it directly sends the radio signal through the antenna wire the sound quality is muuuuch higher and doesn't respond to interference from other cars.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 08-18-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does the 77 not have the IP bus (blue square plug) on the back, I used to have its baby brother the 47 years ago in my old tahoe. If it does have the IP-bus then you should be able to add an aux in via that using something like this (non-sponsor link removed) you just have to go into the menu where you set the clock (with the unit "off") and switch on the AUX setting if it has a ip-bus in this should work.

I would hate to see that head unit get replaced with a "modern" one since there are no new 1.5 din radios, and the aux in and lack of bluetooth are really the only things wrong with that radio.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 08-19-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Send Dennis an email, see if he will cut you deal on whatever the 2013 equivalent JVC is.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-249-99-a.html

If all you care about is audio media, this is/was a smokin deal with a double DIN. Remember to get yourself a steering wheel controls kit.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
does the 77 not have the IP bus (blue square plug) on the back, I used to have its baby brother the 47 years ago in my old tahoe. If it does have the IP-bus then you should be able to add an aux in via that using something like this (non-sponsor link removed) you just have to go into the menu where you set the clock (with the unit "off") and switch on the AUX setting if it has a ip-bus in this should work.

I would hate to see that head unit get replaced with a "modern" one since there are no new 1.5 din radios, and the aux in and lack of bluetooth are really the only things wrong with that radio.
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I agree the aux input is all that is missing. After seeing your response I remembered that this unit has an external CD player option. It must have the IP bus. I'll pull it on the weekend and check.
Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Need recs to replace 1.5 din head unit.