Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

A new old member from California

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A new old member from California

I just wanted to stop bye and say hello. I have an 89 supra that my friends and I race with a lq7 5.3 litre motor we installed with a tko600. We road race it as often as possible. Ive come on this board quite a bit in the last 2 years just kind of lurking and researching. I have a small shop in Antioch where I do custom fabrication. I mostly do roll cages in cars, and suspension setup/tuning. Along with road racing I have drag raced most my life. I have a 78 cutlass with a 1050hp 358 sbc. I build my own motors as well. Along with my small fabrication business, I sell a few parts as well. Im a Chassisworks, Wilwood, Ultratech, NX, Porterfield, and Improved Racing dealer. If there is anyway I can help anyone out, including saving you some money, Im all over it. Any questions or comments.....let em fly. Again, HELLO
Old 08-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Hey! New to posting here as well and an occasional lurker. I also have a 1989 Supra, looking to drop an aluminum LS V8. Any tips on the installation and swap? I've got a general grasp on the swap and what I'm in for, definitely willing to listen to any advice you may have regarding the Supra or the swap.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:48 PM

we did ours for a race car, so actually cut the firewall and moved engine back a bit more then I would for a street car. We also put a tko600 transmission behind it. That required a little tranny tunnel modification. If you want to see any pics, check out the build picks at https://www.facebook.com/ZimmermanMotorsports
They will be under the lemons supra build. Allot of pics showing what we did. Im not sure how much it will help you out though. We made our own motor mounts, etc, using the stock supra mount location. We did hook up the power steering, which required dropping the pressure in the power steering pump. About a 20 dollar deal. The rearend holds up great, but we did go to a 1 piece driveshaft. Could give you ideas on what oil pan to use, etc.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Teching In

That's one hell of a roll cage! I'd be worried for whatever hits you!

I'm trying to use stock or maybe poly mounts to lower NVH, but you guys have some quality fab work. Comparing your mount pictures to the factory motor mount, it looks like I have a pretty straightforward mount design. Do you know about how far back you moved the V8 by cutting the firewall?

Looks like you included a diff cooler as well?

The MKIII's lose a lot of torsional rigidity when you remove the targa top, did adding a second set of frame rails help with that, or would you say a roll bar would do more?

I've heard that the F-body oil pan works better with the MKIII, and that F-body or GTO accessories are preferred.

Quick Reply: A new old member from California