Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Undecided and need some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 02:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undecided and need some help

Hey guys,

So I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and I have been trying to pick what my next car is going to be. For the longest time I was going to get a newish Mustang V6 (2011+), then it was going to be a 2005-2009 model (GT), then it was a 2001-2004 model, and then a Mach 1, but now I've done some research and the option of getting a GTO has come into play.

My biggest factor for all of the changes has been cost. I started at 20, went to 15, then about 7, but I think I could manage around 10,000. I've seen on AutoTrader that most GTOs in that price range are 2004s, and even though I know they aren't the 400hp versions, I think I would be okay with that. The 2005-2006 models I've seen are a few grand more and that's more than I want to pay.

Now, with getting a cheaper car, say around 7k, I would still have money to throw some mods on and personalize it. With starting at 10k though I might not have anything to play with.

Would a well-cared for GTO be okay with say 90k miles? Would I need to be replacing parts soon after, i.e. shocks/struts, etc?

I also am leaning towards an automatic as my wife would need to drive it, but should i be worried about that many miles on an auto? Are the transmissions reliable, or should I go with a manual?
Old 08-21-2013, 06:14 AM
Teching In

Well... Where I live here in New York I don't get to see gtos sell for 7-10 k. The 2004's here with 100k still go for 12-15k but if you find a Gto for 7k I don't think I would waste my time buying it.. Especially if it is stock parts. I own a 2005 ls2 Gto first off, the suspensions NEED to be replaced due to worn bushing and the sagging front end and If it has 90k on the clock then it's a definite. Second if you do buy an automatic Gto which is fine, ask yourself what this tranny went through the 90k miles previous to you buying it.. Last time I checked I don't see too many gtos being daily driven with the finest caress.. Nope it's all about launches and burn outs.. It is a 400 hp Gto so I wouldn't bet my weeks paycheck that's its still good. I've heard too many horror stories of people bitching and complaing that their new Gto they just bought with 80k miles on it and wondering why the tranny blows up the first time they stomp on it.

Ill be honest with you, I LOVE my Gto and wouldn't get any other And maybe you will find one cheap that's in mint condition .. But not for 7-10k, it won't be worth all headaches your possibly looking at. You can't forget the 2004 gtos are now 10 years old so things will have to be replaced and fixed and to boot I'm sorry to say that aftermarket parts for these cars are not cheap at all!

Here's some of my parts and what I paid for NEW parts NOT installed
Kooks Long tube headers -easily 1300
Catbacks- easily 800-1200
Throttle body- 500
Fast 102 intake manifold- 830
Cold air intakes are around 400
New afternarket clutch is around 1000
Heads and cam are usually around 2-3 grand eyes closed
Dyno tune will run you 1000 bucks possibly
Pedders street suspension to fix the car. 2-3000

So ask yourself now if you have enough to blow on a car like this AND have it installed before you do buy this car. Best bet would be to either buy a roller with no motor or tranny and put one in yourself for way cheaper and you can build the car the way you want it yourself or take your 7 k and put it for a down payment in something brand new like the mustangs.. Great looking car, factory warranty and its auto and no headaches at all with it being 10 years old. I hope this helps any questions feels free to message me and good luck with the decisions and remember if it sounds too good to be true it is! Don't rush into buying a car.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Launching!

These cars with any miles need suspension help. I have seen some 90-100k 04's for 9-10k. Ive seen some with 125k going for less. The motor is reliable, and so is the trans, if they haven't been beat on and abused. You never know if someone has ran multiple 200 shots of Nitrous in it, without a good tune. That can be said for any car though.

I'm the same as you, jumping back and forth on what I want. My last one was a newer 5.0 Mustang GT. I always come back to the GTO, it's unique, has a raw feeling to the power, and is comfortable to cruise in. You would want to replace hundreds, if not $1g in suspension alone, so you have to factor that in. Also, the drive shaft carrier bearing is prone to ripping, and causing the DS to clunk around.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by O-FiveCC
These cars with any miles need suspension help. I have seen some 90-100k 04's for 9-10k. Ive seen some with 125k going for less. The motor is reliable, and so is the trans, if they haven't been beat on and abused. You never know if someone has ran multiple 200 shots of Nitrous in it, without a good tune. That can be said for any car though.

I'm the same as you, jumping back and forth on what I want. My last one was a newer 5.0 Mustang GT. I always come back to the GTO, it's unique, has a raw feeling to the power, and is comfortable to cruise in. You would want to replace hundreds, if not $1g in suspension alone, so you have to factor that in. Also, the drive shaft carrier bearing is prone to ripping, and causing the DS to clunk around.

You sold your mustang? I thought you had purchase a Cobra????

OP - I dont think you will be able to find a good condition GTO for 7K but if you do go for it...hurry .

Despite what everyone is saying, these cars will go up in price soon. If you can afford a nice GTO go for it. I could also recommend a 2003-2004 Cobra. Those things are fast, cheap to mod, and look sexy (outside/interior sucks). They are a bit more than a GTO but you make up the price difference later on the mods
Old 08-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Launching!

I never had a Mustang. There is a local who did buy a yellow Termi. Joey. Me, I can't wait to jump back in a GTO.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my CGM 05 GTO A4 in April for $12,800. It had 84,000 miles. Only mod was Off road X pipe and muffler delete. Super clean interior and exterior. I absolutely love the car and after a CAI and HpTuners, it hauls butt. I feel like I got a good deal and got A LOT of car for my money. I know the same money wouldnt of bought me anything as nice from another brand. Very kush seats, power everything, on and on.

If your shopping that "NEW" and you want the power and comfort, get a goat.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my 2004 in 2008 (obviously doesn't apply here) but all of my major suspension bushings, shocks, struts and springs needed to be replaced before I added any go fast goodies. Fortunately several suspension companies offer full kits with everything you'll need. If you can pick one up for 10-12K that's an awesome deal and you're getting a phenomenal car. I don't drive mine on the street anymore but I miss taking long cruises with it. Great GT car
Old 09-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Loudmouthls2

Here's some of my parts and what I paid for NEW parts NOT installed
Kooks Long tube headers -easily 1300
Catbacks- easily 800-1200
Throttle body- 500
Fast 102 intake manifold- 830
Cold air intakes are around 400
New afternarket clutch is around 1000
Heads and cam are usually around 2-3 grand eyes closed
Dyno tune will run you 1000 bucks possibly
Pedders street suspension to fix the car. 2-3000
I don't know where you got some of those prices from, but the OP's ultimate power goals might not require the most "top-of-the-line" components. Kooks will make a little more power than Pacesetters, but only he (and his wallet) can make the ultimate decision if the extra $800-1000 is worth 5 or 10 hp.
While it's true that some aftermarket parts for the GTO will cost you, remember that the LS1/2 platform is still the same basic motor that GM used in all of their performance cars up to , and including, the new LS3s. The key word is BASIC. some parts will swap over across different models, but some will not. What this did though, is reduce the overall cost for us, even though we do own an extinct model. 2-3k for suspension? 95% of GTO owners would never need anything like that. Front R/R and strut bushings are mandatory, but the others could be done over time for a lot less than that.

If you are even mildly skilled, you can install any of the above mentioned parts yourself and save some of that deployment money. most bases have some kind of auto hobby shop that you can use for anything you'd need a lift for, and most have at least one ASE certified mechanic to assist you.

Keep an eye on the classifieds for used parts, too. you can save a bunch of cash buying stuff from guys that are de-modding before they sell. Check out LS1GTO.com for more resources and a much better For Sale section.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by joenub
I don't know where you got some of those prices from, but the OP's ultimate power goals might not require the most "top-of-the-line" components. Kooks will make a little more power than Pacesetters, but only he (and his wallet) can make the ultimate decision if the extra $800-1000 is worth 5 or 10 hp.
While it's true that some aftermarket parts for the GTO will cost you, remember that the LS1/2 platform is still the same basic motor that GM used in all of their performance cars up to , and including, the new LS3s. The key word is BASIC. some parts will swap over across different models, but some will not. What this did though, is reduce the overall cost for us, even though we do own an extinct model. 2-3k for suspension? 95% of GTO owners would never need anything like that. Front R/R and strut bushings are mandatory, but the others could be done over time for a lot less than that.

If you are even mildly skilled, you can install any of the above mentioned parts yourself and save some of that deployment money. most bases have some kind of auto hobby shop that you can use for anything you'd need a lift for, and most have at least one ASE certified mechanic to assist you.

Keep an eye on the classifieds for used parts, too. you can save a bunch of cash buying stuff from guys that are de-modding before they sell. Check out LS1GTO.com for more resources and a much better For Sale section.

You don't know where I got my prices? Try EVERY aftermarket website? Every pedders suspension setup-cheapest one street 2 is 2k and then goes up and up ... And that's NOT top of the line, their 5k full suspension is .. So which prices were you confused about? Go buy a svede otr cai.. Buy some kooks long tubes, show me a price on the cheapest cat back.., buy a fast 102 intake manifold 800 dollars, buy a nick Williams throttle body.. My prices are literally almost all dead on. It's not about pick up em extra 10 ponies, it's about not buy cheap parts for your car, I would know, I paid for it all... Yes stick to the used section it's cheaper
Old 09-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Teching In

You do know that they are other suspension companies out there, right? If you feel the need to have all red bushings, then don't let me try to convince you otherwise, heck, I have some red ones myself. What I'm trying to say is that i read seemingly endless posts that start off like this one and the responses are almost always negative. Do these cars have "issues?" Yes, but all cars do in one way or another. Your response was tempered with more tact and insight than most, but what i was trying to accomplish was to reiterate the fact that you can indeed buy the car you want, and do the upgrades that you desire to, without breaking the bank.

The prices that you listed at the beginning of your post were indeed correct, and I should have specified what I disagreed with. Kooks-check, catback-check, Svede-check. But... there are a lot of really fast cars that still run the factory intake and throttle body. I installed a Monster stage 3 for quite a bit cheaper than $1k, and I'm not sure what the $1000 tune will get you but I'm curious.

OP, take your time and research all your options. Your car is out there somewhere, and it'll be waiting for you when you get home. Stay safe and be sure to let us know when you get back.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Launching!

O.P.'s last sign on was 40mins after he started this thread, FYI.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

get the GTO, but if you must get a mustang and an older one at that, make sure its a cobra from the get go. That way you have a solid platform to start with and wont be disappointed. Have a friend that had a beautiful red Mach I and he loved that car. found a Cobra about the same model and loved that EVEN more. of course a supercharger can do that to ya
I prefer the GTO simply cause im a Pontiac guy good luck in the stan dude, come back home safe

Quick Reply: Undecided and need some help