PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timng tables with turbo...log and tune here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timng tables with turbo...log and tune here.

Just finished reading one on Gregs books and wondering how you turbo guys set up your timing. Not looking for a free table...I want to know how you blended around normal driving to boost...compensated for peak boost before peak torque...and the basic direction as rpm increases. This table on my end I took several degrees from everything 3k and up to be safe while dialing in afr. There is knock on the scan...but I havent adjusted any decay rates or anything like that. No audlble knock I can here. Just curious on what your successes or failures were.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
sundaydrive.hpl (183.5 KB, 55 views)
Old 08-21-2013, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are examples in the hptuners repository that will at least get you started for 2 & 3 bar tunes.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

True...but most are just flat lined at a certain degree and they leave it at that. No slope in other words....no adjusting for where peak torque is or rpm increase or spooling. If the boost is pretty consistent across the rpm range...then why would you have a flat number? Wouldnt you trim back during peak torque and add as rpm increases toward redline? Thats what Ive not seen by searching turbo on the repository. Logs would be nice so I could see the table in action in a histogram.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Becuase a lot of people just tune that way. Personally I slowly subtract timing the closer I get to peak torque then add it back in slowly go peak rpm. I may be 8 or 10 at peak torque then go up to 14 or 15 by peak Rpm. Just depends on what the car likes. Start low and work your way up.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

thats exactly what I learned in the book i read. I was just surprised to see so many tunes in the hptuner repository that were pretty much flat line. I assume your at peak boost before peak torque correct? Do you do anything (timing wise) to make the spooling better? or do you use a leaner burn in the few cells before boost to help ignite the turbo. So many ways to do this stuff.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On an auto it is the general concensus to add timing and run as you would a NA vehicle prior to boost. Timing helps cylinder pressure and learner AF helps the heat. On manuals there are other tricks, like retarding timing and richening up the mix. Its one of those wildly debated topics. What works for you is what you should go with.

Gradually increasing timing from peak torque (just after peak boost, yes) can help keep cylinder pressure up as the VE starts to taper off. A lot of times though on big turbo or twin turbo cars, it is not necessary to do this to maintain boost levels. On a slightly smaller single though it can be helpful. Also leaning the mix out slightly as RPMS climb can help that. Course this is not direct LS experience talking, this is just what I have seen on other platforms. I have very limited experience at this point with the LS motors and forced induction.

Quick Reply: Timng tables with turbo...log and tune here.