Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Greetings from Australia... well sort of...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetings from Australia... well sort of...

Hi guys,

I'm a first time caller long time listener lol.

I've been reading this forum for a while and and wanted to say a big hello and congratulate everyone on setting up such a great resource for people in the LS world. I'm Australian and a few years back moved to the best country in the world and now call Chicago home. As great as this country is, every now and then I was getting homesick and missing a few things that make Australia great (Aussie women, Meat pies, Vegemite and Aussie muscle cars) so I decided to bring a little taste of home back with me.

Ever since I was a kid I loved the Holden VL commodore (my father had one) and while I was in Australia I'd had 9 of them at one time or another but they were all turbo RB30s (Most recently a manual 9 sec @ 142 mph ex police pursuit). The VL commodore came out in Australia in one of three engine configurations, the Nissan RB30 naturally aspirated, the Nissan RB30 turbocharged or the 5.0L holden V8. On my most recent trip back home did some research into importing and complying vehicles into the United States and after finally working out that it's possible, I purchased a fairly rare version of the VL which was actually also an ex police pursuit car. It is a factory V8 car but I've decided to ditch the old Holden donkey and replace it with a 427 cube LSX that will get ambitious thanks to a 88mm GT55. I'm looking at a compression ratio in the vicinity of 9.5:1 and plan on running it on E85. I'm still trying to work out what cylinder heads to run and am currently looking at the AFR 1660 LSX 230cc cylinder heads, but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm really looking to make between 1300 and 1500rwhp @ 26-28psi.

I'm still deciding what to do with trans (either 4l80E or TH400) but given the weight of only 1250kgs (2700ish lbs) it should be a fairly serious street car.

I'm an experienced metal fabricator and will be performing most of the fabrication myself (Engine/gearbox mounts, intercooler plumbing, exhaust manifolds, exhaust, radiator etc etc.) and will be taking ton of photos of the build as it happens.

I look forward to hearing from you guys and seeing you all.

Cheers.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:02 PM
10 Second Club

Sounds like an awsome build. I will leave the advice to the pros.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Sweet, take lots of pics along the way, I'm also from Australia and today I'm honouring a great Aussie Tradition(a sickie) haha, I'm planning a turbo build in my HQ atm, I'm going the iron block LQ4 combo with most probably the LS3/L92 heads. Prices are a lot different for car stuff over there aren't they...haha have fun and don't forget to take lotsa pics

Quick Reply: Greetings from Australia... well sort of...