Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Smoked by 300 6.1l...

Old 08-26-2013, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smoked by 300 6.1l...

Well, there I was, minding my own business the other night in my neighbourhood cruising with my 2002 Camaro 6 speed with T tops off. Motor is stock except for lid and catback.

A flat black, sinister as Hell looking Chrysler 300 with hood scoop, Brembo calipers, and a Hemi badge on the fender pulls up beside me, tinted windows up. His car was pretty much silent at idle. I figured I would destroy a 5.7 and be able to hold my own if it is a 6.1, should he go for it...

The light goes green, we both pull away quickly, unsure if a race is going to happen. We both open up and it's ON! We're neck and neck for a bit but I pull half a car length on him with his car screaming at redline, it now apparent to me he has a catback at least. His car shifts, I'm pulling 5500 rpm so I surge ahead and shift at my redline. Things are looking good...

His car starts pulling in second as I'm spinning (slightly ) in second and he pulls away, and promptly puts 3 car lengths on me with his car screaming like a banshee the whole time. I backed out at 75 mph or so, and he was almost 5 lengths ahead!

We met up for a ( too short!) chat and I say good race blah blah and I say I figured I was going to at least hold my own, he says "...You didn't lose... Your car was quick!". Well he was in front, he wins I lose, its simple... I'm thinking did he mean I didn't lose fairly as in he's got nitrous or?

I was going to take him, as soon as he hits second gear he blows past me, any insight?
Old 08-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could have just been a H/C car or even cam only. Who knows.

It's too bad you didn't get a chance to ask him what was done beyond the exhaust.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

It could have been nitrous if he just drives with it armed all the time. I am doubtful of this since your story makes it seem like it was a pretty impromptu race, but you never know. Remote bottle opener is possible. Also could be that he has quite a bit done (full bolt ons, possible cam car) and the fact that the car is so heavy the horsepower doesn't really shine until he has gotten some momentum. A local bolt on only 6.1 300 out traps my buddies '02 SS Camaro by 2-3 mph. The SS has header back, CAI and a tune.

Hopefully you come across him again and can ask him what his mods are.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

Some years ago, we'd just got out at the track and I'm pulling the dumps and I here a pass go by and the crowd goes all 'ewww and ahhh'…

Whuh? I pop up having missed everything, as the scoreboard flicks off… but I see what looks like a Chrysler 300 making the turn back onto the pit road.

I didn't wait to see what he was running, because 'so what?', a Chrysler 300 just beat it…

Some time later I'm pulling back down the pit road and I see this Chrysler 300 haulin the mail on the Left lane, pulling a Pickup that I KNOW was running in consistent 7.8-9s.

So, I pull into my spot and wait for the 300 to come by and I look and listen and it goes by. "Has to be the squeezins…" 'cause I didn't hear anything, no blower whine, no turbo spoolin'… .

Anywho, the guy was running a blower and damn near burned his car down after a few more passes, the last of which was against me. He said that the tranny he was running that night was his third since he bought it and he was out to test the tranny, cause his tranny guy said he could break that one.

When we finished our pass he never came back into the pits and I found him back at the turn on the side of the road. The heat coming out from under that car was NOT to be believed. He didn't want to lift the hood because he didn't want anyone to know what he had…

I told him that I was probably the least experienced guy at the track that night and even I knew he was inducing with something… and that if he didn't get that thing cooled down and but quick it wouldn't matter. It was like standing beside of a furnace.

He had it towed out and that was the last time I saw or heard of him…

But while it lasted, that big-*** car was haulin' the mail.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Yup, I am going to keep an eye out for him so I can get the skinny on his mods! It seemed like he had at least 100hp come online in second gear! No lumpy cam sound, no smelly exhaust from overlap, and no catalytic smell from the flat-out run either...

I thought N2O possibly, someone mentioned a supercharger but I didn't hear any belt-whine etc, and the craziness only happened in second gear...

Next time I've got to do a serious launch to get a full jump on this guy! I should be able to beat a stock 6.1 though, right?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Teching In

You got to know a 6.1 car with bolt ons and tune will run high 12.70/80's at 111-112 I had one that's what it run. It has a nice tranny with a good auto stick that when tuned works very nice just left in 1 and let it shift up on it own. My daughter has a 2000 Camaro with LT, no cats, loudmouth II, 3.23 gears and LS6 intake with pp tb tuned by frost. I would beat her quarter mile times all the time, now she has a ss4000 and she is quicker but not by much. Top end they run out around 176 to 179 they weigh 3990 pounds without driver with no weight reduction, they are the lightest of all the lx platform srt8 cars they go good I miss mine, wife talked me into a srt8 jeep its crazy quick for a suv with boltons and tune, yes it runs high 12.8's but does not run up top nearly as well as 300 did. They feel much better down low compared to a ls1
Old 08-26-2013, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by pewter2002
Yup, I am going to keep an eye out for him so I can get the skinny on his mods! It seemed like he had at least 100hp come online in second gear! No lumpy cam sound, no smelly exhaust from overlap, and no catalytic smell from the flat-out run either...

I thought N2O possibly, someone mentioned a supercharger but I didn't hear any belt-whine etc, and the craziness only happened in second gear...

Next time I've got to do a serious launch to get a full jump on this guy! I should be able to beat a stock 6.1 though, right?
Well, the thing about the 300 is that all the insulation in the engine bay shut down the blower whine in the car I described above. You could not hear ANY sound of any kind. But when he finally lifted the hood, there was a very large roots blower sitting right on top.

But by the way you've described it, all indications point to the spray.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the input guys. I've got to catch up with this guy and find out for sure.

I guess some supercharged cars may have a quiet pitch to the vanes for a stealth setup too. The srt8 is a fast car, this much I know, but stock it should be close I figure.

I'm not discounting that if and when I see him or another, I'm going to have to be ready for a fight, and make sure my launch and shifts are up to par -driver mod!

I hope it was spray or something haha!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I've got to catch up with this guy and find out for sure.

I guess some supercharged cars may have a quiet pitch to the vanes for a stealth setup too. The srt8 is a fast car, this much I know, but stock it should be close I figure.

I'm not discounting that if and when I see him or another, I'm going to have to be ready for a fight, and make sure my launch and shifts are up to par -driver mod!

I hope it was spray or something haha!
Srts are fast 4 doors, he probably wasn't stock.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

he was close to stock... he pulled you. Good death!
There is no way of finding out if he used nitrous, most probably not
Old 08-27-2013, 12:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

So was it a 6.1 or 5.7? A 6.1 with just a tune does wonders to those cars and would have no problem. Taking down you car with the mods you have
Old 08-27-2013, 07:24 AM
TECH Regular

He said it was 6.1l but his comment of "you didn't lose..." struck me as strange. He was being gentlemanly in victory or his stealth setup sandbagged me... Good death as was stated lol!

Stock 6.1, 0-60, 4.7, quarter mile, 13.2 @ 105 or so according to Internet, don't know what year. This leads me to believe the launch and out of the hole acceleration is the strong point for this car and as the car keeps going, the aero, gearing etc aren't as strong (?). We shouldve been neck and neck stock. Mild upgrades can really wake those beasts up I guess, but it is a large car.

I figured with a sub 5 second 0-60 time he would be sub 13s for sure, hence my above comment. Need a rematch...
Old 08-27-2013, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

105 mph is not even close to what most 6.1s run. 107 mph to 110 stock is what i see and what mine would do stock.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:39 AM
ASSuming On The Tree

He said it was 6.1l but his comment of "you didn't lose..." struck me as strange. He was being gentlemanly in victory or his stealth setup sandbagged me... Good death as was stated lol!

Stock 6.1, 0-60, 4.7, quarter mile, 13.2 @ 105 or so according to Internet, don't know what year. This leads me to believe the launch and out of the hole acceleration is the strong point for this car and as the car keeps going, the aero, gearing etc aren't as strong (?). We shouldve been neck and neck stock. Mild upgrades can really wake those beasts up I guess, but it is a large car.

I figured with a sub 5 second 0-60 time he would be sub 13s for sure, hence my above comment. Need a rematch...
I figure you're butthurt that you got beat by a faster car. Stop trying to justify your slow, basically stock, car.

Last edited by audacious nick; 08-27-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

Smile

^ well there it is, thank you, you're right. This thread is done, not much more I can add.

I need a fast car, or maybe I should just pick on easier, slower cars, for a better result!

Hopefully my next post here will be different. Thanks everyone!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

Ill leave you with this. Don't be fooled by there size they move out. There nothing like the slow 5.7 hemi. I had a 98 trans am it was a A4 it ran good but those mopars move out up top.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smoked by 300 6.1l...