Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Diamond in the rough, my new (lol) 93 z28

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diamond in the rough, my new (lol) 93 z28

Brand new Camaro owner (obviously) here!

On sunday, I traded my Saab for a '93 z28 6-speed w/ 87k miles. Black, with cloth interior. Yippie!
I knew going into the trade that it needed some work, it looks like it ate dirt on a light post, or something fell on it, where the bumper, hood, and fender meet. It needs a headliner (i'm just gonna use duct tape till i feel the need for a "real" headliner.) and the interior itself is disgusting. Residue everywhere, stains, i even found some weed in the glove compartment and the space under the armrest. (Armrest broken off, anyone know where i could get a new one cheap/how to fix it?) I went through the glove box, and found it had AT LEAST 6 different owners, and has had been wrecked pretty bad at least twice. (Found the papers on repair, have frame damage listed, along with a ton of other stuff.) I also found a ticket from 2011 about one of the owners doing a burnout in front of a cops house, with weed in the car. (this car has had a sketchy past.)

My plans are to have the entire interior gone through/cleaned, i'd do it myself, but i really dont wanna pull the dash, carpet, seats, etc and clean them. maybe in the winter??? who knows.

But anyway, this is where i'll be posting my work in progress, restoring this car back to what it should look/smell (weed) like!

My noob q's:
1. Should my gas pedal "swivel"? It's unlike any other gas pedal i've ever used.
2. The exhaust is a bit wopperjawed, one tip sags lower than the other. Turns out, it's not really welded on like the other side, and the hanger was a cut up extension cord. I cut it off, and replaced it with some wire i had laying around. i know it needs welded on, but should i weld a little metal arm, and get a rubber hanger for it, or just use the wire?
3. how much do you guys/gals think all new/used door panels/internals will run me? They are crap, superglued in place, and the passenger window is awfully slow going up and down.
4. what's the best way to get that weed smell out of the car? I soaked it in lysol/farbeze, but whenever the air is on, it smells like hardcore pot.
5. How much would new/pulled panels for the entire center console area cost? They're all loose, and i can see all sorts of nasty crap in between them.
6. How should i go about shorting the shifter? Compared to my saab, it's super tall, and uncomfortable to shift. (just cut it down???)

I know i have lots of q's, and and all advice is welcome!!!
-Liam

pics comming in the morning!
Old 08-26-2013, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jesus tap dancing Christ... That's quite a history. You, sir, have an adventure ahead of you.
1. No.
2. Get a real hanger...
3. Super glue?? Lol. Sounds like you need to buy a roller car and use it for parts. But the window being slow is a common problem.
4. If you want it to be even moderately inhabitable, you're going to be pulling alllllll the interior. Or like I said, get a roller and use the interior from that.
5. Based on the overall condition, I'd almost wager the title to my car that the console lid is broken. Again, roller car. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone wanting to part with a good console lid.
6. Some of the sponsors sell short sticks.

Just don't half *** anything, and you may turn this project into a pretty nice ride. Given the fact that the interior is that bad, I'd be sure to change all the fluids in the car too. They've probably never even been monitored, much less changed, except for the motor oil.....maybe.

Good luck. You're going to need it!

Last edited by sawblade99Z; 08-26-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

Pics of my drug dealing car! yay!
who doesn't like free weed? (I'm kidding, i vacuumed it all up. I think)
Attached Thumbnails Diamond in the rough, my new (lol) 93 z28-screen-shot-2013-08-27-8.23.36-am.jpg   Diamond in the rough, my new (lol) 93 z28-screen-shot-2013-08-27-8.24.44-am.jpg   Diamond in the rough, my new (lol) 93 z28-screen-shot-2013-08-27-8.25.04-am.jpg   Diamond in the rough, my new (lol) 93 z28-screen-shot-2013-08-27-8.25.20-am.jpg   Diamond in the rough, my new (lol) 93 z28-screen-shot-2013-08-27-8.25.35-am.jpg  

Diamond in the rough, my new (lol) 93 z28-screen-shot-2013-08-27-8.25.49-am.jpg   Diamond in the rough, my new (lol) 93 z28-screen-shot-2013-08-27-8.26.04-am.jpg   Diamond in the rough, my new (lol) 93 z28-screen-shot-2013-08-27-8.26.17-am.jpg   Diamond in the rough, my new (lol) 93 z28-screen-shot-2013-08-27-8.26.50-am.jpg   Diamond in the rough, my new (lol) 93 z28-screen-shot-2013-08-27-8.27.04-am.jpg  

Old 08-27-2013, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

Have some more.
Attached Thumbnails Diamond in the rough, my new (lol) 93 z28-screen-shot-2013-08-27-8.27.17-am.jpg   Diamond in the rough, my new (lol) 93 z28-screen-shot-2013-08-27-8.27.29-am.jpg   Diamond in the rough, my new (lol) 93 z28-screen-shot-2013-08-27-8.27.43-am.jpg  
Old 08-28-2013, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

So today I investigated why only 1 of my speakers work. I found out why. The rear driver side speaker is wired up with wires you would use for subs, and had a weird clippy attachment thing on it, where the speaker attaches to the wire. Upon further inspection, the entire drivers side had been redone, and not very well. I think im just gonna rewire the sound in it when I pull the interior this weekend.

I'm not that experienced with audio/wiring stuff. any advice would be appreciated!
Or if there was a write-up on how to rewire your sound in these camaro's (I havent looked yet), would someone post a link to it for me?
Old 09-04-2013, 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

Speakers are simple. 2 wires and your done. There should be a stock wire around there somewhere. What are your future plans for this car? From its condition, I would turn this into a track car, gut it, spray it, drag the hell out of it and pray! lol That's what id do.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jamesSS
Speakers are simple. 2 wires and your done. There should be a stock wire around there somewhere. What are your future plans for this car? From its condition, I would turn this into a track car, gut it, spray it, drag the hell out of it and pray! lol That's what id do.
My current plans is just to have it be the fastest car in my HS parking lot (Shouldn't be that hard to do.) My buddy has a built v6 stang (lol, claims it makes 300+rwhp) and my Saab had him beat, and Im pretty sure this Z28 is faster than the Saab. I did get my back speakers working, now its for the ones in the doors, I think I'm gonna do it in the winter while its sitting.

Last edited by ThatOneKid; 09-04-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:44 AM
Teching In

If your buddies V6 is N/A, Im 101% sure he aint making close to over 300+rwhp considering an LS1 stock doesnt make over 300+ rwhp, and a built motor doesnt add hp, it just means his parts are stronger.

and from the looks of the pictures, man....

man....

man.......

You're gonna spend more money getting that car back to normal than what its worth....
Old 09-06-2013, 06:37 AM
On The Tree

I actually expected it to look worse based on the first post.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ls1onLsd
If your buddies V6 is N/A, Im 101% sure he aint making close to over 300+rwhp considering an LS1 stock doesnt make over 300+ rwhp, and a built motor doesnt add hp, it just means his parts are stronger.

and from the looks of the pictures, man....

man....

man.......

You're gonna spend more money getting that car back to normal than what its worth....

After I pulled all the interior, and got most of the speakers working, It actually doesn't look half bad... Minus the lack of headliner. As for those dents, I'm planning on dropping it off at my buddys shop on monday, give er a good buff, wash, and wax, and I bet she'll look like a million bucks. Or closer to 7 grand. (Leaving a shop full of mustang guys with a camaro! )

Oh and my bud's stang, It can barely spin tires. I think he's just mad at the world because he bought a v6 stang.

Quick Reply: Diamond in the rough, my new (lol) 93 z28