Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Buying OBX headers... What else

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying OBX headers... What else

Hey guys i recently picked up a Maggied 04 v. Car is basically stock other than the blower and cat back exhaust...

As I order this system i would like to know what else im going to need for the system install.

System--->
Amazon.com: OBX Exhaust Header GM 04-07 CADILLAC CTSV LS6 LS2: Automotive Amazon.com: OBX Exhaust Header GM 04-07 CADILLAC CTSV LS6 LS2: Automotive

What is the hardware that im going to need to get? Should I Buy new 02 sensors, 02 extensions, gaskets, ect. ? What hardware am I going to need?

any input helps out a lot thanks

Keenan
Old 08-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Teching In

I am also located in NV so ill be having to go have an E check but as i have many buddies that have all passed running not cats. So ill most likely be tuning out the rear o2 sensors to throw no codes
Old 08-28-2013, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If it isnt done already, might as well put in aftermarket motor mounts, because if you are running the stock ones, its only a matter or time before they go. Might as well do new plugs since you have good access to them with the stock manifolds off.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You need GM multi-layer steel (MLS) header gaskets. DO NOT try to run the gaskets that come with the OBX. They are LITERALLY paper. They should be sued for even including them because every now and again a novice or bone-head will actually try to install them and wind up with a header leak. MLS gaskets are the shiznit.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Launching!

I just bought these headers too, but the catted version. It was $704 shipped. How many miles on the car? I have always reused the stock gaskets and bolts, however I'm at near 84k so I am going to buy new GM gaskets and buy new bolts. I'm thinking after that many heat cycles the bolts might break when trying to re-torque. You will probably need rear 02 sensor extensions. You are also going to need to hook it up to the exhaust you have to the mid pipe, which will require cutting and using a 2.5" exhaust clamp, or have a shop weld it up. You're going to have to pay attention to this because the mids from obx are 2.5" outlet and some catbacks are 3" throughout, so you might need a shop to fab that up for you.

I would change the plugs while you are there, do the motor mounts if they don't look aftermarket, get some plug wire covers, and do some DEI titanium exhaust header wrap.

Where in NV are you? I'm in las vegas
Old 08-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blown_Red_97z
I just bought these headers too, but the catted version. It was $704 shipped. How many miles on the car? I have always reused the stock gaskets and bolts, however I'm at near 84k so I am going to buy new GM gaskets and buy new bolts. I'm thinking after that many heat cycles the bolts might break when trying to re-torque. You will probably need rear 02 sensor extensions. You are also going to need to hook it up to the exhaust you have to the mid pipe, which will require cutting and using a 2.5" exhaust clamp, or have a shop weld it up. You're going to have to pay attention to this because the mids from obx are 2.5" outlet and some catbacks are 3" throughout, so you might need a shop to fab that up for you.

I would change the plugs while you are there, do the motor mounts if they don't look aftermarket, get some plug wire covers, and do some DEI titanium exhaust header wrap.

Where in NV are you? I'm in las vegas

Im in Vegas too...Thanks for the heads up..... I do see that the system isnt catted but im not to worried about it as ive talked to quite a few people who have had no problem with the smog check here.

I would like to get to know the car scene around the valley and would have no problem grabbing a beer and talking shop.

Keenan
Old 08-28-2013, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get new bolts to connect the headers to the head. I wouldn't reuse the stock gaskets either, get new stock one off rock auto... They are like $8 a piece, cheap insurance. Other than that, soak the bolts in a penetrating oil every night before bed and every day while at work for a few weeks... I did it daily, had a can of WD40 in my car. After it cooled down i would spray all the head bolts. I didn't break a single one when I did my header install... I did, however, break one of the bolts that held the stock cat back to the stock manifold on the passenger side and it almost broke my damn face... Sheared that bastard right in half.

I didn't need extensions for my rear O2 sensors on my stainless works headers.

Oh and one more thing... Get some wire insulators for the plug wires. I got some cheap DEI knockoffs from eBay for like $25 I think, for all 8... Otherwise the headers may melt your plug wires

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 08-28-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Get new bolts to connect the headers to the head. I wouldn't reuse the stock gaskets either, get new stock one off rock auto... They are like $8 a piece, cheap insurance. Other than that, soak the bolts in a penetrating oil every night before bed and every day while at work for a few weeks... I did it daily, had a can of WD40 in my car. After it cooled down i would spray all the head bolts. I didn't break a single one when I did my header install... I did, however, break one of the bolts that held the stock cat back to the stock manifold on the passenger side and it almost broke my damn face... Sheared that bastard right in half.

Oh and one more thing... Get some wire insulators for the plug wires. I got some cheap DEI knockoffs from eBay for like $25 I think, for all 8... Otherwise the headers may melt your plug wires
What Bolts did you purchase for the new bolts? what grade?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silvernine
What Bolts did you purchase for the new bolts? what grade?
As far as bolts, I got new ones with the Stainless Works kit that I got and they worked fine. Maybe go to NAPA and get new header bolts. Stock ones would work just fine... But I don't think you want to retorque the old ones... even though the torque spec is only like 11lbs/ft I think... It's cheap to get new ones, cheaper than say, having to spend the time and money to yank one out IF it broke.

Here is the MLS ACDelco gasket... http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...386&cc=1432726

They are sold individually but they work excellent. They are stock for our cars but they DO NOT leak.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by silvernine
Im in Vegas too...Thanks for the heads up..... I do see that the system isnt catted but im not to worried about it as ive talked to quite a few people who have had no problem with the smog check here.

I would like to get to know the car scene around the valley and would have no problem grabbing a beer and talking shop.

Keenan
The only issue you will have is more than likely you will throw a check engine light for the rear 02 sensors. You're going to have to get a tune to turn them off, which isnt a bad thing you should get a tune anyways after the headers. But as far as the smog is concerned they wont hook up the sniffer, just to the computer. Tune out the rear o2s and you are fine. PM me an we will meet up sometime
Old 08-28-2013, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Heat shielding for starter wiring? A few people have melted the wires for the starter. Quick search should find the threads.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I just picked up coated Pacesetters for $273 from Amazon.

I got the offroad connectors.

I got the LSX Stage 8 fasteners.

I got the Eastwood, internal Exhaust coating for the headers.

I got Revshift motor mounts.

I got the 6.0 starter that has the normal connector.

I got good plugs.

I got good wires.

Heat shield for the starter.

Heat shield for the wires.

ACDelco manifold gaskets.

I also got upper and lower balljoints and should have got all springs and shocks, but not decided on what I want to do yet.

If you don't already have new cats, then get those.

O2 sensors if you don't have those....

Revshift Tranny insert......

I think that is about it.

I am doing all of this right now, but I have another vehicle to drive, so I know not all of this is attainable for some people, but I like to take my time.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

+1 oem gaskets on the stock bolts.. next time i pull the headers ARP studs are going in

Originally Posted by 54inches
I
Heat shield for the starter.

Heat shield for the wires.
X1000, its better to be safe then sorry, wrap or coat the headers.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 54inches
I just picked up coated Pacesetters for $273 from Amazon.
Can you link that? I'll buy them right now at that price.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
X1000, its better to be safe then sorry, wrap or coat the headers.
What the hell happened to those lol, sheesh
Old 08-29-2013, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

plastic wire tie that holds the alt. wire melts/breaks alt wire come in contact with the naked header arcs burns a hole. it costs 1g to repair the electrical system after. search "whistler header fail"
Old 08-29-2013, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That picture is probably the sole reason I got the titanium header wrap. It's not ugly like the fiberglass stuff and you don't have to paint it. Just remember to wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt when you're wrapping them.

OBX headers will require a dent in the primaries to clear the steering shaft. A test fit, mark with a marker, and a handful of solid strikes with a hammer should do the trick.

I was on a budget so I cleaned and reused the stock gaskets and bolts. No problems to report here, but I'm well out of the rust belt.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcfed93
Can you link that? I'll buy them right now at that price.
Get an Amazon account and add the coated headers to your wish list and sign up for email updates.

Check it 3-4 times a week.

In small print there will be a scratch and dent if it is available.

I had to wait 6 months, but it was well worth it.

The box was scratched and dented but the headers were flawless.

I also got the eastwood interior header painted and coated the inside, so I should be good now.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What plugs are you guys running?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock replacement AC Delco here

Quick Reply: Buying OBX headers... What else