Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 trouble getting into any gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 trouble getting into any gear

UPDATE (8/28/13) I forgot to mention in my almost novel length first post, I have noticed ever since the issue first started that at a stop if I press the clutch pedal down and have it in gear that I can feel a very slight drag, not a constant drag, but a light drag on and off every other second or so if not more frequent than that. Possible internal leak in the MC?
Hey guys, I did a fair amount of research and went through almost every thread to try and make sure that I'm not making a repeat thread.
THE ISSUE: 3 days ago I made a trip to visit a friend, roughly 75 miles away almost all highway cruising. When I got into town and I approached a stop sign and went for 1st gear with no success. I've been told of camaros (possibly all f-bodys) having a lock out on 1st gear to where you cant get into 1st until under a certain speed. Knowing this I went for 1st again this time at a full stop and still no success. From experiencing this before, I simply pump the pedal whether that is to trigger a solenoid or whatever and go for it again which usually does the trick. It however didn't do it this time and I might have done it 2-3 more times before getting it in gear. I kept driving with no issues after that. Vehicle sat overnight and most of next day till I drove it home. On the way home I was paying close attention to see if I had the same issue. I believe I had the same issue once, but also had a little trouble shifting into 2nd and 3rd (unwillingness to go into gear but no grinding). Once on the highway things were fine. If I needed to downshift to 4th to make a pass, no problem. I pull into my apartment complex and go to back into my garage and when I go for reverse it won't have any part of it. I then go back to neutral, pump clutch and try again... nothing. I then decide to try 1st.. nothing... Wouldn't go into any gear no matter what. Once again, no grinding, just wouldn't go into gear. After a minute or so of working the gearbox it goes into 1st and I just pull up to the garage instead of backing it out. The next morning I decide to go for a quick drive to see if the problem will reproduce itself. Goes into gear fine, I drive off and go through a full heat cycle with calm and aggressive driving. Trans acts up at one point (same issue as previously mentioned) but goes into gear fairly quickly after attempting to get into any gear. I decide its good enough to make the 30 min trip to school and make it there with no issues. After class I go to leave the parking garage, goes into 1st gear fine, I pull forward appox. 10 feet, go for reverse to make a 3 point turn and guess what.... wont go into reverse or any other gear. I try and get it into any gear for a minute or two with no success, push the car back into the parking spot and continue to try there. I finally get the car in gear and decide to drive it to the performance shop near by where I was that did the clutch work for me. The car was at the shop all day today where they drove it a couple times and couldn't reproduce the problem...
Here is some background info on my vehicle that I feel affects this situation. 2001 Camaro Z28 121k miles on what is to my knowledge the factory trans (no rebuilds etc.) I know from previous owners that the clutch has been replaced at least once with a new slave. When I first got the car (around 108K miles) I was having issues with not being able to get make a 3rd shift after driving aggressively through 2 gears consecutively. I had a Monster stage 3 clutch kit put in with a Tick adj master, new slave, and light weight flywheel all around 110k miles which fixed the problem but has now led me to where I am now. Sorry for the LONG write up, just trying to give as much detail as possible.

Last edited by benlow628; 08-28-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: ADDING SYMPTOM TO LIST!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a hydraulic issue to me. Strange that its so sporadic but id start there.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Teching In

fluid is kinda dirty. I plan on changing that tomorrow when I get up to the shop. any thoughts on if it could be as simple as that?
Old 08-27-2013, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nah cant see that causing the issue as long as it has fluid.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I didnt really read the whole post because its such a block full of text it kinda hurt... But Your t56 has no lockout for 1st ear if you tried, you should be able to get 1st gear any time you want. Sounds lie you have an issue with the slave or master.

I'd try bleeding everything first with fresh fluid. If that doesnt fix it it could be the slave or master.

If you disconnect the master line from the trans the pedal should instantly get very stiff. Place your foot with some pressure on the master if after a min or 2 the pedal starts to sink then the master is bad. If not then turn your attention to the slave/clutch.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Sounds like a hydraulic issue to me. Strange that its so sporadic but id start there.
I agree, probably air in the system.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Teching In

I will certainly take a look into going through that process when I pick up the car later. My only thoughts are, why would it work seemingly fine (although it acted like it had a 1st gear lockout and that's what the previous owner told me) and then roughly 8 months after a new clutch, master, and slave, just stop working out of no where?
Old 02-13-2015, 03:54 AM
Teching In

I do not have a solution to your problem yet but I can tell you I am going through the same thing! Some times it goes right into reverse some times it won't. Sorry I can't be any help, but when I figure this **** out I will post on clutch won't disengage.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:10 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I think your fluid flush idea should be tried at least. Also, since it is a monster clutch, the adjustable pressure plate is gone - maybe lengthen the rod on the master a half turn to see if it is just basic clutch wear

Quick Reply: T56 trouble getting into any gear