Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Question on 10 bolt posi

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on 10 bolt posi

Just bought a 96 Z28. Need to do pinion seal and rear cover seal. My question/concern is it has a posi unit in it. NOT limited slip. What weight oil and can I use Amsoil?
Thanks for your time.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I use regular 80w-90 but that's just me. IMO don't bother with a cover gasket, just use a good amount of rvt and it'll be good.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

I hear ya on cover. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is "positraction" ?
it's a "limited slip" differential that distributes power equally to both rear wheels.

first you need a GL-5 gear oil. The viscosity can be either sae 90 (as in 75w-90 or 80w-90) or sae 140 (85w-140). if you're in hot weather or tow then you generally go with the sae 140 oil otherwise the norm is 75w-90.
what you really need to know is if you have an auburn or other clutch-pack type differential.
positraction and limited-slip are just names given to a type of differential way back and are somewhat meaningless today.
you probably have the auburn differential, in which case you need friction modifier or limited slip additive to allow the clutches to slip smoothly when they release in a turn otherwise they'll chatter and wear. auburn has stated they recommend a mineral 90 weight gear oil not a synthetic. if you have any other kind of differential (like the torsen) then you don't need the additive but adding it won't hurt. the only differential i know off that you don't want to use the limited slip additive is in the gov-lock locking differential that comes in late model gm trucks.
some gear oils come with the additive already in it or will say ready to use in limited slip differential, otherwise you buy a small tube of it something like 8 or 12 ounces and add it to the oil.

from amsoil website: is compatible with most limited-slip differentials. If limited-slip differential chatter occurs, add AMSOIL Slip Lock® friction modifier additive.

note they compatible with most, so you take your chances. i doubt you'll hurt or damage anything but paying the extra $$ for synthetic i think is a waste of money unless you can get it locally for less than $12/quart.
i've always used a cover gasket, for the 10-bolt it's felpro RDS55072, and generally less than $5. easier in my opinion and no more expensive than a tube of rtv.

Last edited by 1 FMF; 08-28-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for info 1 FMF. I in Las Vegas so I will go with the 140 if I can find it. Haven't looked for any yet. Yes I have always used a gasket as well. I have seen ppl use no gasket and we're fine. Hell, I seen Eion? from extreme 4x4 use just rtv. Guess it depends on if you can get a gasket or not sometimes??
Old 08-29-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 FMF

what is "positraction" ?
it's a "limited slip" differential that distributes power equally to both rear wheels.

first you need a GL-5 gear oil. The viscosity can be either sae 90 (as in 75w-90 or 80w-90) or sae 140 (85w-140). if you're in hot weather or tow then you generally go with the sae 140 oil otherwise the norm is 75w-90.
what you really need to know is if you have an auburn or other clutch-pack type differential.
positraction and limited-slip are just names given to a type of differential way back and are somewhat meaningless today.
you probably have the auburn differential, in which case you need friction modifier or limited slip additive to allow the clutches to slip smoothly when they release in a turn otherwise they'll chatter and wear. auburn has stated they recommend a mineral 90 weight gear oil not a synthetic. if you have any other kind of differential (like the torsen) then you don't need the additive but adding it won't hurt. the only differential i know off that you don't want to use the limited slip additive is in the gov-lock locking differential that comes in late model gm trucks.
some gear oils come with the additive already in it or will say ready to use in limited slip differential, otherwise you buy a small tube of it something like 8 or 12 ounces and add it to the oil.

from amsoil website: is compatible with most limited-slip differentials. If limited-slip differential chatter occurs, add AMSOIL Slip Lock® friction modifier additive.

note they compatible with most, so you take your chances. i doubt you'll hurt or damage anything but paying the extra $$ for synthetic i think is a waste of money unless you can get it locally for less than $12/quart.
i've always used a cover gasket, for the 10-bolt it's felpro RDS55072, and generally less than $5. easier in my opinion and no more expensive than a tube of rtv.

i saw this the other night and it reminded me of that movie

"the 64 skylark had a regular differential. anyone who's ever been stuck in the mud in Alabama knows when you step on the gas one tire spins, the other tire does nothin'"

Quick Reply: Question on 10 bolt posi