Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Manual Window Conversion ('00 Firebird)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Manual Window Conversion ('00 Firebird)

I'm interested in converting my auto windows to manual. I'm not doing it for weight savings. I'm doing it to remove unnecessary electronics that will someday fail on my anyway.

If anyone has any experience, post it up!
Old 09-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to be doing this swap when I get to my car later this year. Mine originally had manual windows and the previous owner swapped to power ones leaving tiny holes in the door panel. I haven't found much info but this thread should help you out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet...onversion.html
Old 09-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

When you do it, I'd be interested in some post-install pics.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

It's very simple the regulators rivit in the same place just drill the old out and put the new in with the right door panel..
Old 09-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2000ultraZ1911
It's very simple the regulators rivit in the same place just drill the old out and put the new in with the right door panel..
I haven't even seen a picture of the right door panel. Is there a part number for it so I can try looking it up?
Old 10-09-2013, 03:32 AM
Launching!

I have a done a manual to auto door conversion PITA lol especially when theirs two different sizes of actuators.... The hand is a PITA to get off a manual door they def werent made to break unlike some other design flaws lol

As for the fastening of your actuator goto Home depot or lowes and get some fender washers and bolts with lock nuts put a washer on the insde and outside if you can I used lock tight to hold them in place on the inside this way when you tighten them down the washer will displace the force on the fiberglass and keep them from cracking UNLIKE RIVETS......DONT USE RIVETS CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.....ESPECIALLY IN AUTOMATICS.....be very careful when drilling them out .... and haveing bolts will allow you to easily replace something if you need or to go back to automatic.......the holes which youll use will be different because the actuator for a manual arm is shorter use the larger hole where the handle axel will go as your guide ....remember everything is flipped on the inside so keep that in mind as a helpful aid and the spring is a PITA if you have to hook it on the actuator yourself......I might still have mine laying around I can take a picture of for you as a guide no promises

Last edited by xenergyx; 10-09-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I had electric windows. Having to roll them up and down your self gets to be a PITA, especially when it starts raining, your on the interstate and can barely pull over.

Quick Reply: Manual Window Conversion ('00 Firebird)