LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 Corvette - runs great, dies, won't start, starts, runs great, dies, repeat...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Corvette - runs great, dies, won't start, starts, runs great, dies, repeat...HELP!

A month ago, I came into a '94 6M Corvette (there's way more info about me and the car here - https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ease-help.html)...

A week ago, apropos of nothing, the car died while idling. Then it would only crank, but not even try to fire. Waited a minute - tops - tried again, it started, revved, and ran as if nothing ever happened. One day, a few hundred miles, and dozens upon dozens of start-ups later, it happened again, this time in 6th on the freeway at 80+...actually, while still in gear it read maybe 300rpm on the tach but the pedal was unresponsive, and it obviously died as soon as I depressed the clutch pedal; once stopped it was the same as before, except this time I got pissed and just kept the key turned and the starter cranking; 30-ish seconds of this got me a really low, shaky, unhappy idle that died if you so much as thought about the throttle, but would restart into the same >500rpm idle...left at this unhealthy idle for 30-ish seconds it caught and revved itself to 2500 and then fell to normal idle within 5-10 seconds, then drove as if it never happened...various versions of this have happened with increasing frequency until today, when the car was good for 1-5 miles of perfectly normal driving before dying and requiring increasingly longer wait times before it'll re-start. Not good.

Currently accepting all ideas, experience(s), opinions, prayers, etcetera.

Thanks in advance!

-Peter
Old 08-29-2013, 08:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

When it won't start check for presence of spark and proper fuel pressure (with a gauge).
Old 08-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Now that it won't start it will be easier to diagnose if it's spark or fuel or both. Do what shoebox says.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Pull one spark plug from each head.....and let us know if anything 'unexpected' happens.....

KW
Old 09-07-2013, 09:33 PM

The car gods were/are smiling upon me...turned out to be nothing but a simple ignition control module. And in addition to not randomly dying, an added (and quite possibly placebo effect-esque) benefit is that it feels cleaner/smoother off idle and near redline. Either way, we're back!
Old 09-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Teching In

^^

I was reading along and knew it was the icm immediately lol. happened to me the first time i got to operating temp after i rebuilt my motor. needless to say I was a bit distressed. glad you found it!
Old 09-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Sounds a lot like my problems, only I've swapped the ICM with my Nephews car, his runs, mine has the same damn problem.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

To prevent future issues you can do the ICM cooling mod and space it away from the head slightly with washers.

Quick Reply: 94 Corvette - runs great, dies, won't start, starts, runs great, dies, repeat...HELP!