Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

normal transmission operation or is something wrong...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default normal transmission operation or is something wrong...

Hey guys thanks for reading, so I recently bought an 01 trans am m6. I absolutely love this car! way more than my old mustang that's patiently waiting for its ls1 swap. So here's my issue I've been having trouble with a dead pedal and not being able to shift into third at high rpms I'm not worried about it as I read how to fix it on here. Now say if I do a pull to the top of 4th on the highway I cant shift into 6th right after I have to let the rpm drop so I can pull it into gear is this normal for our cars? I thought this is the job of the syncros plus I have to rev match to downshift.. I have absolutely zero grinding coming from my transmission and the car has 37k.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What RPM? When I had a T56 in my car, I could shift into any gear at any RPM at any speed. You don't have to go in order. 1-2-3-4-5-6
Old 08-29-2013, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Well if I am at the top of the gear say 4th after a pull if I want to jump straight to 6th to just cruise and quiet the car down the rpm has to drop to at least 4k or I can not put the shifter into gear. Plus say if you are cruising in sixth the only way to downshift to 3rd or 4th say if you want to jump on it, is if I bring the rpm high enough almost as if matching the engine speed with the gear/road speed. The shifter will then let me into gear.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

high rpm lockout is basically normal with stock clutch hydraulics. upgrade to an adjustable clutch master and shift at whatever rpm you want.

i don't know about the having to rev match to downshift thing... sometimes mine will lock me out while downshifting (stock master) but i usually don't need to rev match.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Ok yea I just remember my old Mustang, I can shift into any gear at anytime even second at 120 but it had no computers ect.. Can I get an aftermarket slave I just replaced the master last week thinking it would help. Im considering buying a monster stage 2 and a tick master. I know that will solve the high rom lockout but now im worried as to how I fix not being able to downshift with out rev matching..
Old 08-29-2013, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quick84gt
Ok yea I just remember my old Mustang, I can shift into any gear at anytime even second at 120 but it had no computers ect.. Can I get an aftermarket slave I just replaced the master last week thinking it would help. Im considering buying a monster stage 2 and a tick master. I know that will solve the high rom lockout but now im worried as to how I fix not being able to downshift with out rev matching..
i would try the monster + tick first since it will definitely solve the lockout while upshifting, and just see if it knocks out the issue with downshifting at the same time. my bet is that it will. if not, maybe it's a synchro issue.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fruitsalad
i would try the monster + tick first since it will definitely solve the lockout while upshifting, and just see if it knocks out the issue with downshifting at the same time. my bet is that it will. if not, maybe it's a synchro issue.
Ok yea i will order a kit from monster, with a new lightweight flywheel clutch slave, and ill get a new pilot bearing as well. Then the tick with a remote bleeder line to ease that process as well. Fingers crossed thanks for the help as im new to all this hydraulic stuff.

Quick Reply: normal transmission operation or is something wrong...