Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Rust on Ls7 cylinder walls

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust on Ls7 cylinder walls

Well, long story short, I have rust in my motor.

I removed the heads on my 07 Z06 for a one week long head job, and the shop didn't have them done for SIX MONTHS. The block was sealed as good as I could but the beach humidity got in it and caused it to rust.

What can I do? I can't afford to have the motor pulled....

Old 08-31-2013, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Clean it and run it.As long as no major pitting,I think you should be fine.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks worse than it really is, at least in that cylinder. I would use some scotch brite and clean the rust spots off. just blow the cylinder out real good when you're done. I had a friend leave his boat sit in storage and when he got it out the motor wouldn't turn over because he didn't fog the engine before storing it. He took the spark plugs out and sprayed the cylinders with wd-40 then turned the motor over with a breaker bar on the crank bolt. He's run it now for about 4 boating seasons with no problems. It's definitely not something you want to happen but I think you'll be alright unless the other cylinders are worse than this one.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

On youtube, agearhead4life did a build called the squirter

Look through his vids, I believe its running.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:54 PM

So, scotchbrite pads and then blow the cylinders out with air?

I really hope its okay. I am really strapped for cash right now...

What if I end up with some pitting, how bad is too bad?
Old 08-31-2013, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sandragnx
Clean it and run it.As long as no major pitting,I think you should be fine.
Agreed
Old 08-31-2013, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

You should not have much if any pitting in that amount of time. I second the Scotch-Brite pad suggestion and then clean everything really good. Lightly lube with engine oil and reassemble. It'll be fine.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:59 AM
Launching!

Scotchbrite? Really? It's full of abrasives, that's how it works. Those tiny (and not so tiny) pieces of abrasive will get stuck between top piston land and cylinder wall and mar hell out of 'em. Seen it done, might as well pour sand in the carb.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:21 AM
On The Tree

You might want to talk to a machine shop. I had one rust, alot worse than yours but it had to be bored .030 over. You could probably rotate that piston down as far as you can to bdc and try a bottle brush with a drill. Put a layer of thick grease, like wheel bearing grease, all over the top of the piston to catch anything that drops down so it doesn't get between thr piston and cylinder wall. Carefully wipe it all back out when your done. Not optimal but it should get you by until you either get rid of the car or do a rebuild.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Banned

I've seen far worse a lot of engines we've done over the yrs..look like this after they have come from the machine shop:..and I or my uncle Chubby.....open-up the plastic bag and show our - your friends the engine and re-wrap the block and a month or 2 later.... light Rust.....That looks worse than it really is..........I would use some (Plastic) scotch brite (like the 1's for your kitchen)no metal to metal contact! and clean the rust spots off. just blow the cylinder out real good when you're done. sprayed the cylinders with wd40--lite oil..clean the bores, then turned the motor over. It's something you don't want to happen but this type of **** happens all the time if after cleaning there is anything left which will be very little if any at all. USE Plastic as not to mess up the hone-cross hatches of the bores.

Quick Reply: Rust on Ls7 cylinder walls