Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

99 G80 A4 Z28 Chatter from rear end

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 99 G80 A4 Z28 Chatter from rear end

So I recently replaced my pinion seal on my differential. Car is a 99 z28 with the G80 code in the door. I'm now getting some chatter from the rear end at low speeds on turns with moderate to hard accel.

I've been reading one contradicting thread after the next about whether I should have added Limited Slip additive.

What i decided on when I filled the fluid after the seal change was 2 bottles of 75w90 mobil one synthetic (marked LS... does this mean they already had the additive?), and about 3/4 a bottle of the gm's acdelco branded additive. I say 3/4 cause i mixed the additive into the mobil 1 before adding, and i was only able to get about 1 and a half bottles of the lube in diff....

What did I do wrong and why is my diff chattering? Do i need more additive? Should I go with less additive?
Old 09-01-2013, 09:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The addictive wont hurt anything so id dump it I'm. Usually synthetic oils already have the additive in them. You have a 99 so you should have the Torsen differential but if someone swapped it out for an auburn the synthetic maybe causing issues
Old 09-01-2013, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
The addictive wont hurt anything so id dump it I'm. Usually synthetic oils already have the additive in them. You have a 99 so you should have the Torsen differential but if someone swapped it out for an auburn the synthetic maybe causing issues
I'm pretty certain its a Torsen. The auburn has visible springs when you open it up, correct? Mine didn't from what I recall...

I also remember reading in other threads that adding "too much" additive would affect the viscosity of the lubricant. Makes sense... but I just don't know how much is "too much"?

Quick Reply: 99 G80 A4 Z28 Chatter from rear end