Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

fresh air inlet with saikou michi dual cans (diagram inside)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up fresh air inlet with saikou michi dual cans (diagram inside)

I've spent countless hours searching the forums. I've seen the recommended routing diagram for these cans posted here but they lack a fresh air inlet to help purge the gases.
I believe I have an acceptable way of addressing this but would like some insight from you guys.

Here's how it works.
Can #1 top side connects to rear driver side valve cover
Side port connects to turbine inlet with inline check valve

Can #2 top side connects to rear driver side valve cover
Side port connects to intake manifold with inline check valve

Passenger side valve cover will have a breather installed either on the oil fill cap or the front port. To prevent gases from escaping the breather a check valve will be used to make this a filtered fresh air inlet only.

Now that we have it plumbed up let's look at its operation.

No boost operation: fresh air is sucked into the passenger side valve cover. It travels around the rockers down the pushrod valley and makes its way to the crankcase. The airflow then flows up the pushrod valley on the driver side and continues around the rockers and makes its escape out of the rear driver side cover. The purged contaminated oil and gas mixture then enters the top of Mr. Saikou's awesome can. It does its job, exits the can and then the clean oil free gasses get sucked into the manifold.

Now we hammer down and build some boost.

Boost operation: The inline check valve installed on can #2's side port notices the boost and closes. This prevents any pressure traveling back into the can and driver side valve cover which would pressurize the crankcase causing issues.
At the same time the inline check valve on #1's can opens because the turbine inlet is pulling a vacuum now that we have boost.
Once again, filtered fresh air would be sucked into the passenger side valve cover make its journey through the engine and exit the rear driver side cover. Go through can #1 and finally make it's way into the turbine inlet and eventually through the engine.
When the BOV opens the manifold will pull the vacuum reopening the check valve on can #2 which will then cause the valve on #1 to shut.
Can #2 will be doing all the work up until we are in boost again.

I'm not concerned about unmetered air entering the manifold because the vehicle is not using a MAF sensor.

Also, any other open ports that the diagram doesn't use would be capped off.
Thoughts and opinions!?

Please excuse the diagram, its all I had to work with lol.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i see most guys just running -10an off each valve cover, with a vented filter cap. Thats how im running mine.

Quick Reply: fresh air inlet with saikou michi dual cans (diagram inside)