PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0300 and P1380

Old 09-03-2013, 06:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0300 and P1380

So on Friday I replaced my cam sensor after I threw the code for it, wasn't the 1380 but don't remember off hand. Plus I had a p0300 code and talking to a GM tech, he said that the cam sensor being bad could throw that code. So replaced the sensor. Everything seemed fine for a few hours Friday night. Then out of no where the SES starts flashing. Plugged my scanner in and threw the p0300 again and the p1380. I forgot what the description was for the p1380 but it was something like camshaft position sensor actuator, (I'm working or I would run out there and check it again). I'm not sure I got a bad sensor or what but I have never seen that code before. Thanks
Old 09-03-2013, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by White6SpdZ28
So on Friday I replaced my cam sensor after I threw the code for it, wasn't the 1380 but don't remember off hand. Plus I had a p0300 code and talking to a GM tech, he said that the cam sensor being bad could throw that code. So replaced the sensor. Everything seemed fine for a few hours Friday night. Then out of no where the SES starts flashing. Plugged my scanner in and threw the p0300 again and the p1380. I forgot what the description was for the p1380 but it was something like camshaft position sensor actuator, (I'm working or I would run out there and check it again). I'm not sure I got a bad sensor or what but I have never seen that code before. Thanks
I suggest performing a crankshaft variation relearn next. Then retry.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DTC P1380 Misfire Detected - Rough Road Data Not Available
Circuit DescriptionThe PCM detects engine misfire by detecting variations in crankshaft deceleration between firing strokes. For accurate detection of engine misfire the PCM must distinguish between crankshaft deceleration caused by actual misfire and deceleration caused by rough road conditions. The ABS Brake System can detect if the vehicle is on a rough road based on wheel acceleration/deceleration data supplied by the wheel speed sensors. If the ABS system detects rough road above a predetermined threshold, this information is sent to the PCM via serial data. The PCM can then take the rough road into account when calculating misfire. Even if the ABS is malfunctioning and cannot detect rough roads, the misfire diagnostic will continue to run. However, if a misfire DTC sets, this additional DTC also sets indicating that rough road data was not available during the misfire calculation due to an ABS System malfunction.

Conditions for Running the DTC•DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0121, P0122, P0123, P0335, P0336, P0742 not set.
•The vehicle speed is greater than 10.0 mph.
•The engine load is less than 60%.
•The engine misfire is detected (DTC P0300 set).
•The engine speed is less than 3200 RPM.
Conditions for Setting the DTCAn ABS system malfunction exists preventing the PCM from receiving rough road detection data.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets•The powertrain control module (PCM) stores the DTC information into memory when the diagnostic runs and fails.
•The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will not illuminate.
•The PCM records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The PCM stores this information in the Failure Records.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC•The PCM turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
•A last test failed, or current DTC, clears when the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
•A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
•Use a scan tool in order to clear the MIL and the DTC.
Diagnostic AidsImportant:

•Remove any debris from the PCM connector surfaces before servicing the PCM. Inspect the PCM connector gaskets when diagnosing/replacing the PCM. Ensure that the gaskets are installed correctly. The gaskets prevent contaminate intrusion into the PCM.
•For any test that requires probing the PCM or a component harness connector, use the Connector Test Adapter Kit J 35616. Using this kit prevents damage to the harness/component terminals. Refer to Using Connector Test Adapters in Wiring Systems.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

this p1380 is for a '99 Z28 camaro 5.7 eng
Old 09-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

DTC P0300 Engine Misfire Detected
Circuit DescriptionThe Crankshaft Position sensor is mounted through the side of the engine block at the rear of Bank 2 behind the starter assembly. The Crankshaft Position sensor works in conjunction with a 24X reluctor wheel on the crankshaft. The reluctor wheel is inside the engine immediately in front of the rear main bearing. The PCM provides a 12 volt power supply to the CKP sensor as well as a ground and a signal circuit.

A misfire causes a change in crankshaft speed. The PCM times the interval between each pulse and compares each new time interval with the previous one in order to determine when an excessive change in crankshaft speed has occurred. You can expect a certain amount of acceleration/deceleration between each firing stroke, but if the crankshaft speed changes are greater than an expected amount, the PCM interprets this as a misfire.

The PCM uses the Crankshaft Position sensor for both spark and fueling. As the crankshaft rotates, the reluctor wheel teeth interrupt a magnetic field produced by a magnet within the sensor. The sensors internal circuitry detects this and produces a signal which the PCM reads. The PCM uses this 24X signal in combination with the Camshaft Position sensor 1X signal in order to accurately determine crankshaft position. The PCM also calculates a 4X signal from this information. The PCM uses the 4X signal for internal calculations. The 4X signal also provides a tach signal for any device which requires one.

Observe that as long as the PCM receives the Crankshaft Position sensor 24X signal, the engine will start. The PCM can determine top dead center for all cylinders by using the Crankshaft Position sensor 24X signal alone. The Camshaft Position sensor 1X signal is used by the PCM to determine if the cylinder at top dead center is on the firing stroke, or the exhaust stroke. The system attempts synchronization and looks for an increase in engine speed indicating the engine started. If the PCM does not detect an increase in engine speed, the PCM assumes it incorrectly synchronized to the exhaust stroke and re-syncs to the opposite cam position. A slightly longer cranking time may be a symptom of this condition.

Conditions for Running the DTC•DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0117, P0118, P0121, P0122, P0123, P0125, P0335, P0336, P0341, P0342, P0343, P0500, P0502, P0503, P1258 not set.
•The engine speed is between 450 RPM and 3,001 RPM.
•The ignition voltage is between 10.0 volts and 18 .0 volts.
•The engine coolant temperature is between −7°C (19°F) and 130°C (266°F).
•Fuel level greater than 10%
•The TP sensor angle is steady within 1%.
•The ABS and Traction Control systems are not active.
•The transmission is not changing gears.
•The AIR diagnostic test is not in progress
•The A/C clutch is not changing states.
•The PCM is not in fuel shut-off or decel fuel cut-off mode.
•The ABS signals not exceeding rough road thresholds.
Conditions for Setting the DTC•The PCM determines that an emission type Misfire is present.
•The PCM determines that a catalyst damaging Misfire is present.
Action Taken When the DTC SetsThe PCM illuminates the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) under the following conditions:
Old 09-04-2013, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

Well so far ive driven it and no light for the last 100 or so miles. Fingers crossed
Old 10-23-2013, 08:42 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What fixed it?
Old 11-06-2013, 05:53 AM
12 Second Club

So far nothing. Going to replace 02 sensors next and see if that helps. She's parked for the winter now
Old 11-06-2013, 11:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The "rough road" implicates the ABS system. Seen any
brake warnings? Without the rough road indication, a
rough actual road may induce misfire detects that are
not suppressed properly. Then you collect all 10 and win
your P0300 certificate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0300 and P1380