Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maf directly to filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maf directly to filter

Thought Id get info a little quicker here than on my normal board.

I'm doing an lq4 swap into a '68 c10 and I'm about finished. Looking into air filters right now. I've seen that the 99-up Silverado kits will work for me but they actually put the filter right behind the battery tray where there is little air movement. Is there a specific coupler that I need to clamp a cone style filter directly to the maf or can I just use a standard silicone one. I realize the maf end is slightly smaller than 4" but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

The only thing I've found that might be close is spectre part number 9900033. Sorry for not having a direct link but my phone doesn't paste in these sorts of text boxes.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Which MAF are you using? I am using the filter from one of the cheap Ebay cold air truck kits (same as Spectre but half price). The filter assembly fits my 85mm truck MAF perfectly with no adapter or coupler.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Teching In

I'm using the 5 pin truck maf. If it works without a coupler I'll just use one of the shorter 3.5" long cones. I was pretty sure the ls7s came stock that way but I wasn't sure if there was any known problems. I don't believe the oiled maf rumors, and I'm sure I might lose some power since the air is making a turn so suddenly but I doubt it will make a huge difference in a mild setup. Not to mention the cone I want to use pulls air from the outside as well as an inverted cone on the inside, so the turn shouldn't cause too many problems.

I'm looking at spectre pn 8162 for a cone if anyone else is curious.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

There are no issues with a filter directly on the MAF. But the oiled filter and MAF rumors are true. Dont over oil the filter and you will be fine. But they do tend to need the MAF cleaned more often, as it does build up on the surface of the sensors... And the turn wont hurt you either in terms of power...
Old 09-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Cleaning it more often was expected but I've heard things like mafs needing to be replaced after only a few months. Also to clarify I am looking at putting the filter right off the maf right off of the throttle body. Should have been more clear. Thanks for the replies so far!
Old 09-03-2013, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

I would think the turbulence from going filter to MAF to TB would be extreme. I've seen it done on a lot of swap cars that are mostly for show to keep the bay tidy looking, but I would expect the MAF to read better with some distance.

I could be wrong though.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:49 AM
12 Second Club

Ideally a straight section of pipe in front of the maf would give more accurate readings, possibly be easier to tune.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

My thoughts are having that much turbulence both right before and after the MAF can't be good. Neither are ideal in the first place but combining them might make it worse.

If you do this setup do not even think about removing the screen from the MAF. You might invest in a Saxon maf screen to further help get clear MAF readings. My idle seems more solid since I installed mine. For like $15 it can't hurt

http://www.saxonpc.com/100mm-cells-for-100.html
Old 09-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Teching In

That looks like a good investment. I have the truck throttle body so the 86mm one should fit ok.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

This replaces the stock screen in the MAF, for a truck 85mm maf you will want the next size up from the one for an fbody. It will be slightly too big but you roll the outer fins to fit.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Just an update, when the MAF is plugged in the idle is erratic at best. Granted, it hasn't been tuned yet, but I think it'll be a problem regardless. Gonna look into an elbow and maybe a straight section as well.

Here is what I tried.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

Part of the reason mine works well with the filter on the MAF is the filter is large and has a built in velocity stack to smooth airflow exiting the filter.

That filter is also going to be considerably small for your application. I high recommend you try one of the ebay CAI kits for a 99+ 5.3 engine. I bet you can use the whole cold air kit on your truck and it comes with a HUGE filter with the stack in it. It is $60 shipped so lots of bang for the buck.

BTW it is the exact same thing as the Spectre kit sold at part stores for $150. So if it doesn't fit you can probably sell local and get your money back.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Teching In

I looked into the ebay ones but I'm afraid its going to go right into where my battery is sitting. I'm going to have to take another look at it and probably plan out something custom... or move the battery.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:24 AM
11 Second Club

But worst case scenario: you get a 90* bend, clamps, large filter with velocity stack in it, and coupler for the MAF

The price of a proper sized filter for your application from any other source is likely $35-40 alone.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Teching In

True. I suppose if need be I could chop the pipe a little shorter too.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Yup, it is aluminum so a hacksaw would make quick work of it.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:52 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This may or not be a little pricey for you but its a very convenient way to custom make your own setup right there on the truck.
http://www.airaid.com/u-build-it_intake_systems.aspx

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Teching In

I did actually look into that. I'm checking on the 67-72 truck forum to see if the eBay kit fits and if it doesn't that's probably what I'll go with. If I can I'll chop the pipe shorter but if it won't get much flow that way I'll see what I can do with the kit.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Got the ebay kit and put it in. Had to cut the van style trans dipstick to fit it in, but it works. On the downside the engine still doesn't want to run right when the MAF is plugged in. Realized the other day that it's probably because the MAF I'm using is PN AF10043, which I believe is the larger truck style MAF and this engine is out of a van, so the ecu may not be set up to properly read the other MAF until it's tuned.

As far as the filter goes, this means that it probably would have worked ok with the smaller filter, but I would suggest to anyone reading this that you get a good size one anyway. The ebay one looks pretty decent aside from it being absolutely ENORMOUS! Seriously, I've already gotten several comments from people I don't even know asking whether I'm compensating haha.

The pic doesn't do it justice. Look at the pcm and battery in front of the filter for perspective.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Glad it fit for you. Be sure to post up when you figure out what the problem is.

Do you have another MAF you could try? Even if the table is wrong it should run, just might be rich or lean.

Is the engine stock? Does it idle poorly both cold and warmed up?

Quick Reply: maf directly to filter