Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

questions about forged 402 LS2

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about forged 402 LS2

So i recently bought my vette and maybe im being overly concerned but i changed the oil today and noticed a bit of a metal "fro" going on my oil drain plug. usually i see a little here and there from past cars but this seemed to be a little more than im used to seeing.

now i have posted about this ticking sound...

and after finding some more shavings on the drain plug and noticed a shimmer on the top layer of oil when i dumped the filter as well, i let the car sit about a 4 days before changing the oil so do you think its just all of the shavings finally pooled during my oil change (usually i change the oil while the engine is still hot because i never had a garage to keep the car in) or is it because this is a forged stroked motor with EST 9k on the new motor? maybe the previous owners never cleaned the oil drain plug so it may have collected a little more than usual.idk ive never had a built motor so i dont know if this is nothing to be worried about.

let me know what you think. im tearing out the trans this week so if i need to pull off heads now would be a good time i think. (which im hoping i dont need to do)

thanks
Old 09-04-2013, 04:20 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

U should pull them & check em or u could drive it like u stole it.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if you wiped a cam lobe.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cut open the oil filter and see what's going on in there. Its a better tell than the drain plug.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i guess ill pull the heads and see, i hope i didnt turn a lifter or wipe a cam lobe. i started to take the intake off already since im doing my trans swap this week, looks like ill be taking a look at my cam and lifters too.

the cam i believe i can tell is bad or not but the lifters unless its a roller thats messed up i doubt id be able to tell, like a collapsed lifter. do i just turn over the engine by hand and pull off the heads to see if the lifter isnt pumped up with oil or what.

thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: questions about forged 402 LS2