Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls6 intake question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls6 intake question

Well my question is...How long did you guys go without a tune after installing an ls6? Could there be any problems besides the annoying CEL?
Old 09-05-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've been driving mine about 3 years. lol
I believe the tune just optimizes everything, not necessarily needed.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Launching!

Good to know. Another thing someone told me this "dont go full throttle it might lean out and things can break" how true is this? I dont see it affecting it since I run headers so the car was running kind of rich anyways before the swap
Old 09-06-2013, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EdgarB
Good to know. Another thing someone told me this "dont go full throttle it might lean out and things can break" how true is this? I dont see it affecting it since I run headers so the car was running kind of rich anyways before the swap
Now is the best time to do a mail order tune.If you have headers and have not had a tune plus you put on an ls6 intake you need to do a tune.You are going to gum everything up inside. When you get the tune and install the ecm you are going to be suprized how much more power you will have! do it asap Frost mail order tune!
Old 09-06-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wont "need" a tune but a tune would make a noticeable improvement. If you have more mods planned then the tune can wait.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

I'm gonna be putting a ls6 intake and 85mm throttle body on my car here prob in a few weeks. Should I get a frost tune? I don't have headers yet. But idk when I'll be putting headers on it cause I wanna do a stall first. Should I just wait till more mods or get a tune, and then tune it again. Idk how soon ill be getting headers or a stall.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides frost, who else can do a canned tune for bolt on fbodies? Anyone ever had a tune from texas speed? I think they're the same price iirc.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Launching!

I do have a cam planned withing the next 6 months. So I suppose I should wait?
Old 09-06-2013, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

my first tune was mail order from texas speed. they forgot to delete the egr or cats so i had to mail it back & they fixed. also be very clear on all your choices, i said i wanted a street friendly tune which was a mistake on my part. only got 13:8 -1 A/F. had drm retune to 13:1 and added 13 rwhp! tell them shift points if A4, raise rev limiter factory 6200 rpm i think. etc. goodluck!
Old 09-06-2013, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
my first tune was mail order from texas speed. they forgot to delete the egr or cats so i had to mail it back & they fixed. also be very clear on all your choices, i said i wanted a street friendly tune which was a mistake on my part. only got 13:8 -1 A/F. had drm retune to 13:1 and added 13 rwhp! tell them shift points if A4, raise rev limiter factory 6200 rpm i think. etc. goodluck!
FROST FROST FROST He is very reliable and reasonable! When headers are done a tune can wait but not too long as the car will run not up to its potential .The reason we put the headers on is for more power so not to tune it right away is working against what you have done. Also like I said before installing an ls6 intake with the headers ...you should definetally get it done. Now if you had an ls6 intake on by itself then you probably could wait for the tune but now headers are in the mix and you have just bumped up all the specs the ecm has to read and it will not know what to do. Jump on a tune! $150 best money spent for your needs. And yes go thru your list and state everything you want added or deleted. If you ever do heads and cam then you need a dyno run.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ws6man29
FROST FROST FROST He is very reliable and reasonable! When headers are done a tune can wait but not too long as the car will run not up to its potential .The reason we put the headers on is for more power so not to tune it right away is working against what you have done. Also like I said before installing an ls6 intake with the headers ...you should definetally get it done. Now if you had an ls6 intake on by itself then you probably could wait for the tune but now headers are in the mix and you have just bumped up all the specs the ecm has to read and it will not know what to do. Jump on a tune! $150 best money spent for your needs. And yes go thru your list and state everything you want added or deleted. If you ever do heads and cam then you need a dyno run.
I would deff agree to really getting a tune after intake AND headers. I got mine dyno tuned about a week later and couldnt even get a base run because it was running so lean on the top end from doing both those mods. For $150 its a no brainer. more performance and no worries about leaning out.

Quick Reply: ls6 intake question