Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Recurring lean codes after k&n filter "recharge"

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recurring lean codes after k&n filter "recharge"

Hey guys. I have a K&N FIPK II installed and decided to "recharge" the filter a couple months ago. Fresh after "recharge" I was getting MAF codes and found out that I definitely over-oiled the filter. I bought some MAF cleaner and cleaned it a couple times, which got rid of the MAF code. BUT...since then, I've been getting bank 1 and 2 lean codes that keep popping up. I thought they were maybe residual codes from the over-oiling so I've cleared them 4 or 5 times now ... but they keep coming back.

I've checked all the intake tube connections, snugged things up a number of times, and also cleaned the MAF a 3rd time...all to no avail. Here's the "freezeframe" data from my OBDII code reader...

Anyone have any ideas of what would be the most likely culprit? Could it be a bunged up fuel filter? Bigger issue(s)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

I was just getting lean codes on my 00 ss also , try unpluging the maf sensor and see what happens , what happens when u drive the car ?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Probably got oil on the MAF element.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I definitely had oil on the MAF element at first...that's how I figured out I'd over oiled it. THAT time I had the lean code AS WELL AS a MAF code (can't remember exactly what the code was). That's when I cleaned with MAF cleaner... On two separate occasions. But now its just the lean codes that I'm getting...no specific MAF error code. Is it still more likely than not that it's the MAF causing the lean code?
Old 09-06-2013, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

WHen you oil the K&N, barely get any oil on it, a light mist all over is all it needs. I have had this issue on virtually every car i have put a K&N on.

Then clean you mass air flow sensor. go to your local auto parts store and get some mass airflow cleaner, and clean the element good (do not touch it, it is fragile) but spray it good.

My old Thunderbird would get Noticable slower when the mass airflow sensor gets dirty (and even the V seems to feel "refreshed" after I clean the mass airflow sensor)
Old 09-06-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Fuzzy. As I said, I definitely over-oiled the filter back when I was getting the first codes. But I've already cleaned the MAF (with proper cleaner spray) a few times since then and still getting codes. Unsure of whether the lean codes now are another separate issue that's come up or still residual issues from the over-oiling...
Old 09-06-2013, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

have you cleaned the k&n filter to remove the excess oil yet? how long after clearing the code does it take for it to come back on?
Old 09-06-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

I haven't cleaned the filter again, no. Figured the oil would dry out with time. I did also take compressed air to it when I had to clean the MAF the first time.

It took a week or so for the code to come back the 1st time. Then I removed the MAF and cleaned it again. Then it was a bit longer...a few weeks, when the code came back again...not the MAF code, but just the lean code. I just cleared it. Then it took a little longer again and the code came back. Cleared it again. Only saw the MAF code (wish I could remember exactly what it was) the first time...since then its been just lean codes.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It seems like I only see the lean code when i get oil on my MAF.

I would clean the filter, It sounds like it is still oil getting on the MAF (slower as time goes on)

I would not use compressed air on the filter, (or be sure you are far enough back to not put too much pressure on one spot)
Old 09-06-2013, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your fuel filter / Regulator. Even though you just changed the air filter they will cause those codes to be thrown. Change 50.00 filter/reg and never had another issue
Old 09-06-2013, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Cool, thanks for the suggestions guys. Fuzzy - do you oil the INSIDE of the filter as well, or the outer side only? That may be another issue. I oiled both sides. Heavily. I probably used almost half the bottle of oil on the thing. I'm embarrassed... lol
J - fuel filter crossed my mind too. I have no idea when it was changed last and I've owned the car for about 3 years and 20,000 miles. Is changing this a pretty easy job? Guess I'd just need a special tool to disconnect the fuel lines...?
Old 09-06-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh wow, yea way over oiled it. They make it red so you can see where it is covered. A misting is all that is needed, like fuzzy said. The first time I did a recharge on a K&N I did the same thing. After that I learned. Personally I only do the outside. Also in my opinion they come way over oiled from K&N so I usually clean them and re do them myself before I even install it. Try getting your hands on a new maf if the code comes back after you recharge the filter and see if that helps. The MAF directly controls the fuel mix by measuring airflow, if it isn't getting proper readings it will throw P0100 or P0110 I think. But it doesn't always throw that code. IE: if there is oil on it, and the maf is still reading 'in range' of poper voltage it wont throw the code but it may throw your Long Term Fuel Trims (LTFT) and short term (STFT) off thereby royally *** raping the fuel air mix. I would address that first. Then, if it still comes back after reoiling the filter and possible installing a new maf, I would look into fuel pump issues. Tackle the easy stuff first.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wes8398
I oiled both sides. Heavily. I probably used almost half the bottle of oil on the thing. I'm embarrassed... lol
Jeez man, were you trying to put your ***** in it? lol

Harbor freight sells a quick disconnect fitting tool that's made of metal in their specialty automotive parts section.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece...set-38732.html

I picked one up but haven't tried it yet.

Mine was a bit more expensive and had more pieces in it, I think... I don't remember.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I usually only do the outside
Old 09-07-2013, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

Ok, almost half the bottle is a bit of an exaggeration. lol It was the cleaner that I used almost half of. But I did use almost a third of the bottle of oil.
I had to change my oil tonight, so while I was in there I took the MAF out and gave it another cleaning. I didn't have time to go through cleaning the air filter again though...I'll do that next time, if the codes come back again. I thought I'd plug my OBDII reader in even though I don't currently have a code...as I expected, there were 2 pending codes. Lean for each bank. Ugh. So..we'll see if the MAF cleaning helped. If not, I'll go through cleaning the filter again (and MAF again), and see what that does. After that, it'll be fuel filter. I should probably change that thing anyway.

On the topic of bunged up fuel filters...is there an indicator of needing to change these things? Do you get a CEL/MIL?
Old 09-07-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

On the topic of bunged up fuel filters...is there an indicator of needing to change these things? Do you get a CEL/MIL?
I've read in previous posts, stuttering, hesistation, breaking up on the top end but idle is ok. Some have even pointed to drooping idle as showing blockage in the line. Read through a few of the more recent posts on idle droop and things like that.

Similar symptoms to having to replace plugs and wires.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks again for the replies, guys. I cleaned the filter real good last night, as well as the MAF again. Re-oiled the filter very lightly this morning, and re-installed. We'll see what happens from here...
Old 09-08-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks again for the replies, guys. I cleaned the filter real good last night, as well as the MAF again. Re-oiled the filter very lightly this morning, and re-installed. We'll see what happens from here...
You made sure to only oil the outside, right?

I think it says in the instructions not to oil the inside, if I remember. Been a while since I did one of those.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Follow up... A few weeks ago I recleaned the filter and got all the excess oil off of it. Also recleaned the MAF. VERY lightly oiled the outside of the filter only this time and reinstalled. No more lean code since then.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Follow up... A few weeks ago I recleaned the filter and got all the excess oil off of it. Also recleaned the MAF. VERY lightly oiled the outside of the filter only this time and reinstalled. No more lean code since then.

Quick Reply: Recurring lean codes after k&n filter "recharge"